Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

The sentence I have problem with is:"The weather forecast is for mostly cloudy with scattered rain "

As for as I know, "is for" means you agree with something as in he is for this proposal, so why not just say "The weather forecast says it is mostly cloudy with scattered rain". I'm confused.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'The weather forecast is for mostly cloudy skies with scattered showers' would sound natural.

A weather forecast would not say 'It is mostly cloudy . . .', because a forecast predicts what is going to happen.

Rover

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I must admit I cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for the use of "for" as the word on its own doesn't suggest the future. However, if I heard a forecaster say simply "The weather forecast is mostly cloudy skies ..." it would sound unnatural. That would work in writing if I wrote:

"The weather forecast is:
- mostly cloudy
- scattered showers
- average temperatures"

As Rover said, the forecaster can't say "...it is mostly cloudy" because that refers to the present. You could say "The weather forecast says it will be mostly cloudy ..." but you would say that after you had watched the weather forecast. It would be unnatural for the weatherman/woman to say those words.

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'The weather forecast is for mostly cloudy skies with scattered showers' would be sound natural.

A weather forecast would not say 'It is mostly cloudy . . .', because a forecast predicts what is going to happen.

Rover

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
" it is mostly cloudy with scattered rain".
That is a report of the current situaion. It is not a forecast.

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I must admit I cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for the use of "for" as the word on its own doesn't suggest the future. However, if I heard a forecaster say simply "The weather forecast is mostly cloudy skies ..." it would sound unnatural. That would work in writing if I wrote:

"The weather forecast is:
- mostly cloudy
- scattered showers
- average temperatures"

As Rover said, the forecaster can't say "...it is mostly cloudy" because that refers to the present. You could say "The weather forecast says it will be mostly cloudy ..." but you would say that after you had watched the weather forecast. It would be unnatural for the weatherman/woman to say those words.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.