There are internet wires throughout the entire area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) There are internet wires throughout the entire area.

2) There are internet wires across the entire area.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you think an "internet wire" is?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What do you think an "internet wire" is?

An internet wire is a wire by which internet is transmitted to the customers. It is attached to my router.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd call those cables, like LAN cables, etc.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

1) There are internet cables throughout the entire area.

2) There are internet cables across the entire area.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Internet is provided to customers through a variety of media, including coaxial and fiber-optic cable.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to express. Are these cables visible? Are they causing a problem? What set of circumstances has led to you uttering these sentences?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

1) There are internet cables throughout the entire area.

2) There are internet cables across the entire area.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to express. Are these cables visible? Are they causing a problem? What set of circumstances has led to you uttering these sentences?

First of all let me tell you one thing. My response don't appear on forum. I need to post them twice to be displayed on the forum. You would think that I am not responding.

Yes, Goes station is right fiber optic cables. They are not creating problems but when I go out of my house and look up in (I don't know whether "in" or "at" should be used here) some place there is a kind of a web of these cables.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

"Fiber-optic cable" this is what I am talking about. No they are not causing any problem.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
First of all let me tell you one thing. My response don't appear on forum. I need to post them twice to be displayed on the forum. You would think that I am not responding.

You don't need to post twice. Every one of your posts goes into moderation and has to be approved by a moderator before it appears. It's not just the first post in a thread that is moderated. I have just found 11 posts by you, all in moderation. You are being too impatient again. Each time you post, wait until it has been approved and appears before writing anything else in any thread.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You don't need to post twice. Every one of your posts goes into moderation and has to be approved by a moderator before it appears. It's not just the first post in a thread that is moderated. I have just found 11 posts by you, all in moderation. You are being too impatient again. Each time you post, wait until it has been approved and appears before writing anything else in any thread.

But could you please also answer my question? I have mentioned what I meant by "Cable" there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are fibre-optic cables throughout the area.
There are fibre-optic cables across the entire area.

I still can't think of a reasonable context in which it would be necessary to say this. What situation would you be in when you need to say this?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There are fibre-optic cables throughout the area.
There are fibre-optic cables across the entire area.

I still can't think of a reasonable context in which it would be necessary to say this. What situation would you be in when you need to say this?

Whenever I get out of my house and look up I see a web of these cables. I think these should be removed. Although they don't create any problems.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want to discuss broadband availability, you can write Fiber/Fibre-optic broadband is available throughout the area.

I wish it was available at my house. Or plain old coaxial cable (commonly known as just "cable" in American English), for that matter. :-(

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Whenever I get out of my house and look up, I see a web of these cables. I think these should be removed (no full stop here) although they don't create any problems.

Are you sure that what you can see are fibre-optic cables? Those are usually buried underground. It's more likely that what you can see are electricity and telephone cables.

Why do you think they should be removed?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you sure that what you can see are fibre-optic cables? Those are usually buried underground. It's more likely that what you can see are electricity and telephone cables.
They're usually run overhead here in the States. If you've visited this country, you may have noticed the large number of overhead cables compared with what you're used to in Britain.

I have a feeling Tufguy may be thinking of the massive tangles of overhead cabling common to developing countries. It's amazing that service techs ever manage to find the cable they're working on.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
They're usually run overhead here in the States. If you've visited this country, you may have noticed the large number of overhead cables compared with what you're used to in Britain.

I have a feeling Tufguy may be thinking of the massive tangles of overhead cabling common to developing countries. It's amazing that service techs ever manage to find the cable they're working on.

What does "run overhead" mean?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Why do you think they should be removed?

Goesstation suggested "overhead cables" so I think they are overhead cables. I was just saying that they should be removed. They don't create problems but they are entangled to each other. So I was just thinking that the internet signals should be transmitted without the help of these cables. Sometimes they wear away or cut off (It doesn't usually happen) so you need to call the provider.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "run overhead" mean?
Wires are run from one place to another. In this case, they're attached to poles, running above the heads of people on the streets.

I tried to paste in a picture of some tangles of wiring from Vietnam, but the forum's image-upload system defeated me.

Status
Not open for further replies.