...there are problems to tackle which we have to take new measures.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

I was studying some grammar points on "prepositional phrases" and "relative clauses", and I was wondering if the following sentences are grammatically correct:

1. "...there are some standards according to which users have to submit..."
2. "...they have faced serious obstacles to overcome which they are advised to..."
3. "...there are some conventional standards in order to improve which new measures have to be adopted."
4. "The quality of our life can depend on our leisure time for which there seems to be a growing trend for many to go for extreme experiences..."

I think the way I started the sentences with "... may be irritating but I just had trouble making complete meaningful sentences. I just needed to give you a limited context where which phrases are used. If the second and third sentences are correct, then can you give me the grammar title I can search and study?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
From the ellipses, it appears all four examples are part of a longer sentence. Why don't you give us the entire sentence if you have it?

Examples 1 and 2 aren't complete sentences by themselves, but could work as part of a longer sentence.

Example 3 is grammatical as a stand-alone sentence and could also form part of a longer sentence.

Example 4 is grammatical as a stand-alone sentence but the "for which" part sounds off to me. If it's part of a longer sentence, please give us the full sentence.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you know what an obstacle is? In any case, one obstacle seems to be that you don't understand those sentences. In fact, I don't understand them myself although it's possible that I would if huge chunks of them weren't missing.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Simply because I wasn't sure those sentences were correct, I had trouble making them longer to provide a bigger context.

For number 2, I meant to put three ideas into a single sentence:

A: Some people have faced serious obstacles (at work or the like).
B: They need to overcome these obstacles.
C: They are advised to ... . (To seek advice, to take measures, etc)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

They face serious obstacles. They much overcome them in order to succeed.

I have no suggestions for the others.

The context for something is the situation in which it appears.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that you can have more context but not a bigger one.