There was a procession that was passing by a house. The owner of the house didn't let

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) There was a procession that was passing by a house. The owner of the house didn't let them pass by.

2) There was a procession that was passing by in front of the house. The owner of the house didn't let the procession pass by.

Please check my sentences.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Use "but" to join those two sentences, and consider changing the start of the first to: "A procession was trying/about/going to pass by a house."

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Use "but" to join those two sentences, and consider changing the start of the first to: "A procession was trying/about/going to pass by a house."

1) A procession that was trying to pass by a house but the owner of the house didn't let them pass by.

How about second sentence?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Delete 'that' as teechar did.

1) A procession was trying to pass by a house but the owner of the house didn't let them pass by.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
A comma is missing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's no need to repeat "pass by". Also, you started with "A procession" but then used "them" at the end. Can you see the problem there?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
There's no need to repeat "pass by". Also, you started with "A procession" but then used "them" at the end. Can you see the problem there?

1) A procession was trying to pass by a house but, the owner of the house didn't let that procession pass by (it sounds weird if I don't use "pass by").

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think that's where teechar thought you should put the comma (I wouldn't use one at all). There is nothing weird about the sentence without the repetition of "pass by". Please write it again. Don't use "that procession". What is the third person singular pronoun that we keep telling you to use when you have already established the noun that you're referring to?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I don't think that's where teechar thought you should put the comma (I wouldn't use one at all). There is nothing weird about the sentence without the repetition of "pass by". Please write it again. Don't use "that procession". What is the third person singular pronoun that we keep telling you to use when you have already established the noun that you're referring to?

A procession was trying to pass by a house, but the owner of the house didn't let that it pass.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Remove "that" and the second "pass".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your version has the same problem as tufguy's ("A procession" at the start but "them" at the end). Also, there is no suggestion that the procession is trying to go through anything.
Let's see if tufguy can come up with one final attempt following my advice in post #11.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is a difference between "pass by" and "pass/go through".

alexpen

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
There is a difference between "pass by" and "pass/go through".
There is, but why would the owner interfere if they were just passing BY his property?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
alexpen, we have enough to do explaining stuff to tufguy without other students interfering in his threads.

Please start your own thread rather than introducing follow-up questions to somebody else's.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A procession was trying to pass by a house, but the owner of the house didn't let that it pass.

Tufguy, in case you've lost the thread here, read the two posts above and make one more attempt at the sentence.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

A procession was trying to pass by a house, but the owner of the house didn't let that it.

Where is "that" in my sentence?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It is the penultimate word in the sentence you just posted. Can you see it? It comes between 'let' and 'it'.

A procession was trying to pass by a house, but the owner of the house didn't let it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, we got there at last. Now, can you answer two questions for me?

1) Can you see why we keep suggesting that you are trying to construct sentences that are too advanced for your level?
2) You keep telling us that you are writing about things that happen in daily life. I don't dispute that, every day, somewhere in the world, a procession is probably trying to go past someone's house but how often, in your entire life, have you had to describe this situation to someone in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.