Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Zambia
Current Location
Zambia
Is it correct to say ' therefore, this is why I chose to live my life this way'.
Can the word 'Therefore' be followed by 'this is why'?:roll:

leonwool

Member Type
Student or Learner
If you have just explained a reason for something, you can follow up with a sentence, starting with "This is why ....". Eg. I needed to get to work quickly. This is why I decided to skip my breakfast.

If you now start to debate the reasons for reaching this conclusion you could contruct a sentence starting "Therefor, this is why...".

So usually we don't do this.

You knew that didn't you? I knew that you knew that. I knew you knew I knew that . No, I didn't know that you knew that I knew that ........... (Ad infinitum)

It's English Jim - But not as we know it.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that the word 'therefore' (stressed on the first syllable) has a final e. Confusingly there is also a word 'therefor', stressed on the second syllable', that means 'for that thing' *- almost exactly the opposite, in some contexts:

'A, therefore B' -> B happened because of A, or 'B. The reason therefor was A.'

To avoid confusion, people have let the second one fall out of use. (Online Etymology Dictionary )

b
PS This mirrors all the other 'there + preposition' words, such as thereat, therein, thereafter, thereupon... (all of which are fairly obscure, and can sensibly be ignored for most exams ;-))

Last edited:

Agnes

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Zambia
Current Location
Zambia
Note that the word 'therefore' (stressed on the first syllable) has a final e. Confusingly there is also a word 'therefor', stressed on the second syllable', that means 'for that thing' *- almost exactly the opposite, in some contexts:

'A, therefore B' -> B happened because of A, or 'B. The reason therefor was A.'

To avoid confusion, people have let the second one fall out of use. (Online Etymology Dictionary )

b
PS This mirrors all the other 'there + preposition' words, such as thereat, therein, thereafter, thereupon... (all of which are fairly obscure, and can sensibly be ignored for most exams ;-))

Ok, thanks. I take it that it IS correct to say 'Therefore, this is why I chose to live my life this way' then. :)

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Ok, thanks. I take it that it IS correct to say 'Therefore, this is why I chose to live my life this way' then. :)

I have to disagree. "Therefore" and "this is why" express the same thing, namely, the reason why you chose to live your life a certain way. It seems redundant to use both.

"Yesterday I didn't work out. That's why I went to the gym today."

Would you really say, "Therefore, that's why I went to the gym today."? I wouldn't. I'd use either "therefore" or "that's why," but not both.

NOT A TEACHER.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Absoutely. It's not ungrammatical, but pleonastic.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.