They booked a car through Uber. They didn't book a separate car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
John and Carter had to go somewhere. They booked a car through Uber. They didn't book a separate car. They booked a shared car. It was a shared trip.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
John and Carter had to go somewhere so they shared an Uber.

There is absolutely no reason for you to use five sentences to express such a simple idea.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
John and Carter had to go somewhere so they shared an Uber.

There is absolutely no reason for you to use five sentences to express such a simple idea.

They shared an Uber. "A car through Uber" is it wrong to say this? We just have to type the name of the company. "They booked an Uber" is this correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They shared an Uber. Is it wrong to say "They booked a car through Uber"? [strike]is it wrong to say this?[/strike] Do we just have to type the name of the company? Is "They booked an Uber" correct? [strike]is this correct?[/strike]

See above.

Yes, "They booked an Uber" is correct. "They booked a car through Uber" is grammatically correct but unnecessary.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"They booked an Uber" is not correct. Uber is a company not a car. You would not say "They booked a Hertz." or "They booked a Budget Rent a Car.

The proper sentence would be either "They booked an Uber car" or "They booked a car through Uber."

I think the last is probably the better choice as in reality Uber drivers usually use their own cars.

Last edited:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This American uses "uber" both in place of a car and also as a verb.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"They booked an Uber" is not correct. Uber is a company not a car. You would not say "They booked a Hertz." or "They booked a Budget Rent a Car.

The proper sentence would be either "They booked an Uber car" or "They booked a car through Uber."

I think the last is probably the better choice as in reality Uber drivers usually use their own cars.

Is it correct to say "I booked a shared car through Uber" or "I booked an Uber shared car"?

I am getting confused here. They are saying that "To book an Uber" is correct but you are saying "To book an Uber car" is correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Remember that not all native English speakers agree on everything. Lynxear, who said "They booked an Uber" is incorrect, is a native Canadian English speaker so we can extrapolate from that that Lynxear has not heard it used and, possibly, that it is definitely not used in Canadian English. However, you also know from this thread that "They booked an Uber" is commonly used in both British English and by some speakers of American English. In the UK, "They booked an Uber car" would sound unnatural. It would be like saying "They booked a taxi car".

Despite being a relatively new company and concept, Uber has quickly become such a recognised word that it is being used almost as a form of transport in its own right.

Q. How are you getting to the airport?
A. I'm getting the train.
A. I'm getting the bus.
A. I'm getting the coach.
A. I'm getting a cab.
A. I'm getting a taxi.
A. I'm getting an Uber.

(Note that this use of "getting" is very common in BrE. It might well not be used in other variants.)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
So, is it correct to say "I share a 'cab' or 'an Uber' or 'an Ola (It's an Indian company)' every day with other passaenger"?

If I have to say it in present continuous like I am booking a cab but a shared one then what do I need to say "I am sharing an Uber" or "I am booking a shared Uber"?

Last edited by a moderator:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, a shared Uber is called UberPool. The concept is that it is similar to carpooling. When you request an UberPool, you essentially share the ride with other strangers. If you don't want to share your ride, you choose UberX, UberXL, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "every day with other passengers". Do you use Uber every day? Do you share your ride with the same people every day? Remember you don't get the same Uber driver every day. Most likely, you get a different Uber driver every time you request one and if you choose the carpooling option you will meet new strangers every time.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the US, a shared Uber is called UberPool. The concept is that it is similar to carpooling. When you book an UberPool, you essentially share the ride with other passengers.

Do I need to say "I am booking an Uber pool"? Can my sentences be used as well?

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can say "I'm sharing an Uber".

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am ending my rant about Uber, though I still stand by what I have said. I am sure that using Uber that way occurs in Canada as well. However, I still believe it is not good English despite being a common phrase. This is especially true as Uber branches into other forms of transportation... enough said.

As far as ""They booked a taxi car", goes. Certainly this would be never said. Taxi is not a company name. It means a car for rent with a driver. So you are essentially saying "car" twice"

Is it correct to say "I booked a shared car through Uber" or "I booked an Uber shared car"?

I am getting confused here. They are saying that "To book an Uber" is correct but you are saying "To book an Uber car" is correct.

"I booked a car through Uber."

This is the better sentence in my opinion whether it is written or spoken. "To book an Uber" may be used in common speech. Many things we say in common speech are not good English or grammatical.

If you are learning English, in my opinion you should learn proper English first. The slang and the lazy way of talking will follow eventually as a natural result of talking to others. Other teachers' views may differ and you are seeing such right now sadly.

It may vary with the country, but in North America you don't order a taxi based on how many people are going to ride in it. This is unless you want a ride for over four people. If this is the case you would order a larger vehicle such as a mini-van if the company has one available.

So normally you would not need the word "shared" when booking a taxi.

I am sharing a taxi every day with other passenger. (note your spelling error for "passenger")

Yes, I can imagine some sort of sharing arrangement if one was traveling by taxi every day. In this case you are telling someone about your arrangement, not ordering the taxi this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, we frequently use a company's name in place of its well-known product. Take Google for example. You hear "google it" all the time. It's widely accepted and I doubt any English teachers would say it is wrong to use Google as a verb. But it could also be a cultural difference. Obviously, a lot of these companies are American based and we tend to use their names however we see fit. We don't do the same thing with foreign companies. Especially ones that we are not very familiar with.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am ending my rant about Uber, though I still stand by what I have said. I am sure that using Uber that way occurs in Canada as well. However, I still believe it is not good English despite being a common phrase. This is especially true as Uber branches into other forms of transportation... enough said.

As far as ""They booked a taxi car", goes. Certainly this would be never said. Taxi is not a company name. It means a car for rent with a driver. So you are essentially saying "car" twice"

"I booked a car through Uber."

This is the better sentence in my opinion whether it is written or spoken.

So normally you would not need the word "shared" when booking a taxi.

I am sharing a taxi every day with other passenger. (note your spelling error for "passenger")

Yes, I can imagine some sort of sharing arrangement if one was traveling by taxi every day. In this case you are telling someone about your arrangement, not ordering the taxi this way.

I got your point. I have memorized both ways yours and theirs as well. So you are saying we cannot say "I am booking a shared car" I should say "I am sharing a car. Get ready it will arrive any minute". Am I correct?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I live in a rural enough area that the service don't exist within 250 miles, but even still I've frequently heard such phrases as 'book an Uber', 'share an Uber' , 'grab an Uber', 'take an Uber', etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.