Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

Today someone posted a screenshot in our online chat group. It was a website's Twitter, saying that Beijing Winter Olympics was a joyless spectacle; constricted by the pandemic, fraught with geopolitical tensions, tainted by doping accusations and overshadowed by the Ukraine crisis.....

Then someone said "They're biased".

I then replied "They're not biased but blind, as a way to protect their freedom of speech".

The intended meaning is "I think what the website said is totally untrue because I'm in China and I know what happens better than they do. Also, I think they say such things because they just want to show us that they can say what they want to".

Is my italic sentence natural?

I then replied "They're not biased but blind, as a way to protect their freedom of speech".
That means very little to me. It certainly does not convey the message of:
"I think what the website said is totally untrue because I'm in China and I know what happens better than they do. Also, I think they say such things because they just want to show us that they can say what they want to".

No.

They're not protecting their freedom of speech. They're expressing an opinion.

How does this Tweet defend freedom of speech- your contrary views are equally respected by the freedom. The contents are an opinion people are free to agree or disagree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back