Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Sudan
Current Location
Sudan
I feel as if there is something unusual about the use of “Thinking” in “Thinking Arabic Translation”. What does it exactly mean here?
• NB
Thinking Arabic Translation
A course in translation method:
Arabic to English
Second edition
James Dickens, Sándor Hervey
and Ian Higgins

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I feel as if there is something unusual about the use of “Thinking” in “Thinking Arabic Translation”. What does it [STRIKE]exactly[/STRIKE] mean here?

[STRIKE]• NB[/STRIKE]

Source: Thinking Arabic Translation, A course in translation method: Arabic to English, second edition, by James Dickens, Sándor Hervey and Ian Higgins

Please note my corrections above. I have no idea why you put a bullet point and "NB". Remember to put book titles in italics, and keep all the source information on the same line.

I'm honestly not sure what the title is supposed to mean.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would interpret is as Thinking (about) Arabic Translation.

We use something similar when we say "I'm thinking Thai tonight for supper" or "I'm thinking new shoes are in order."

Usually it's more common in spoken English, but I suppose they're trying for a colloquial sounding title or something.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Looking at the definition of "intersemiotic translation" as opposed to literary translation, I think a much more likely interpretation is: thinking the way Arabs think.

Abdalghani

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Sudan
Current Location
Sudan
Please note my corrections above. I have no idea why you put a bullet point and "NB". Remember to put book titles in italics, and keep all the source information on the same line.

I'm honestly not sure what the title is supposed to mean.

Thank you very much for your corrections.I hope you explain to me what is wrong with the use of the adverb "exactly" before the verb "mean".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for your corrections. space after a full stop I hope you can/will explain to me what is wrong with the use of the adverb "exactly" before the verb "mean".

I crossed it out because it wasn't necessary. If I'd left it in, I would have had to move it because it wasn't in a natural position. If you really want to use it, say "What exactly does it mean here?" or "What does it mean here, exactly?"

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For what it's worth, it sounds plain awkward to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.