This guy is looking for the killer of Bruce Lee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello

In my language, when someone becomes too finicky and fussy and pedantic, we say something that literally translates to "he is looking for Bruce Lee's murderer!"

It means that person is expecting something which is practically impossible and they are being overly finicky.

Example:

I gave my essay to my tutor yesterday. He started fussing me and then he fussed over some of the points I made in the essay. I really don't know what he wants from me and my essay. I think he is looking for Bruce Lee's murderer.

The customer fussed over the plaster work of the building and made a big deal out of it but I think it's perfectly fine. I think he is looking for Bruce Lee's murderer

Is there a similar expression in English?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't think of one, but it doesn't matter because I'm going to use to be looking for Bruce Lee's murderer too from now on!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There is a Chinese idiom "to look for bones in an egg". It means "to deliberately find fault with someone who is faultless".

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Wasn't Bruce Lee killed by an allergic reaction to a medicine?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I can't think of one, but it doesn't matter because I'm going to use to be looking for Bruce Lee's murderer too from now on!

:-D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There is a Chinese idiom "to look for bones in an egg". It means "to deliberately find fault with someone who is faultless".

I do like this idiom.

Status
Not open for further replies.