Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use "this weather" or "this kind of weather"?

"Indeed I like rainy weather, because I think this weather is the most emotional. It shows the difference between a sunny side and a gloomy side of a climate."

Should I use "this weather" or "this kind of weather"?

"[STRIKE]Indeed[/STRIKE] I like rainy weather no comma here because I think [STRIKE]this weather[/STRIKE] it is the most emotional. It shows the difference between [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the sunny side and [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the gloomy side of a climate."

As you can see above, there is no need to use either. Don't repeat words unnecessarily. Using "it" suffices there. What do you mean by weather being emotional? It doesn't make sense to me. Also, rain is its own type of weather. It doesn't show a difference between two other types of weather.

As you can see above, there is no need to use either. Don't repeat words unnecessarily. Using "it" suffices there. What do you mean by weather being emotional? It doesn't make sense to me. Also, rain is its own type of weather. It doesn't show a difference between two other types of weather.

I mean different weather patterns are like emotions. If that makes sense in English. I wanted to use "the rain" shows the sunny side and the gloomy side of a climate. Should it be "rain" or "the rain"?

How exactly does rain show the sunny side of the climate? It's rarely sunny and rainy at the same time!

How exactly does rain show the sunny side of the climate? It's rarely sunny and rainy at the same time!

It can be. At least here. Just a few days ago too. There is even an expression "blind rain" when it is raining and sunny at the same time. So the definite article isn't required before rain, is it? Why is it wrong to use the indefinite article before "side"? I mean here: "It shows the difference between a the sunny side and a the gloomy side of a climate."

It can be, here at least. [STRIKE]here.[/STRIKE] It happened just a few days ago. [STRIKE]too.[/STRIKE] There is even an expression, "blind rain", used when it is raining and sunny at the same time.

[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] The definite article isn't required before "rain", is it? Why is it wrong to use the indefinite article before "side"? [STRIKE]I mean here:[/STRIKE] For example, "It shows the difference between a/the sunny side and a/the gloomy side of a climate."

Note my corrections above. Please remember to write in full sentences at all times. I noticed that this is the second thread in which you've written "... a the ..." as if you're suggesting including both in the final sentence. When you are offering two options within a sentence, use a slash between them, as I've done above.

We don't have a phrase used when it's both raining and sunny. Of course, I could be standing under a rain cloud and the sun could be shining on a different part of the town (and I would be able to see the sun) but it doesn't need an idiom.

I'm not sure what part of your post you're referring to when you ask "The definite article isn't required before "rain", is it?"

A climate would have just one sunny side and one gloomy side so the definite article is used to reflect that.

Note my corrections above. Please remember to write in full sentences at all times. I noticed that this is the second thread in which you've written "... a the ..." as if you're suggesting including both in the final sentence. When you are offering two options within a sentence, use a slash between them, as I've done above.

We don't have a phrase used when it's both raining and sunny. Of course, I could be standing under a rain cloud and the sun could be shining on a different part of the town (and I would be able to see the sun) but it doesn't need an idiom.

I'm not sure what part of your post you're referring to when you ask "The definite article isn't required before "rain", is it?"

A climate would have just one sunny side and one gloomy side so the definite article is used to reflect that.

I meant if I say "rain shows the sunny side and the gloomy side of a climate" and in other situations "I love rain". Is the definite article required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back