Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello

What are the universal English terms to describe all the three processes?

chern-min.jpgfull_nTtc9kU6-min_1.jpg06_2-min.jpg

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I found English translation of the черновая отделка=shell and core fit-out (1st picture) and чистовая отделка=final finishing(3rd picture).
Academic.com

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the three pictures show an interior refurbishing job without involving the main structure of the building, which come under Steps 5 & 6 in Piscean's classification.

The ceiling and floor are covered up after services are installed (fabric construction work).There are then patched up in preparation for finishing works (preparation for finishes). The finishing works - painting and floor parquet are carried out last.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The style of construction shown in the pictures hardly exists in the United States, so "universal" terms are going to be hard to find.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The style of construction shown in the pictures hardly exists in the United States, so "universal" terms are going to be hard to find.

Terms like cement plaster, fibrous plaster, gypsum board, parquet flooring, skirting, cornice, architrave, etc., are quite universal.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

The pictures show an empty apartment unit within a multi-storey apartment block. The main structure is usually of reinforced concrete frame. I think the main difference from the US is the type of construction for the internal partition walls. The pictures show walls of masonry construction whereas in the US, they are mostly of lightweight frame structure lined with gypsum boards and filled with insulation, which is more economical and fast to construct.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If I don't have the pictures what is the best and shortest way to describe all the three stages? If ''shell and core fit-out'' (1st picture) or ''rough finishing'', ''final finishing''(3rd picture) suggested by Academic.com are not good options?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If I don't have the pictures what is the best and shortest way to describe all the three stages? If ''shell and core fit-out'' (1st picture) or ''rough finishing'', ''final finishing''(3rd picture) suggested by Academic.com are not good options?

Please tell us in more detail what work has been carried out in the three pictures especially the first one, so that we can understand it better.

Do you know what "shell and core fit-out" means? There is no structural/shell work to be done. The unit is part of a multi-storey apartment building, right?

There is no such thing as rough finishing. They don't mean anything to me being in the construction line myself.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Piscean, who said I am not happy with the terms you found for me? Thank you very much! I was only comparing the terms you and other teachers suggested with the terms I found on a Russian website for translators. For the first picture they suggest- ''shell and core'', for the second-''semi-finished'', and for the third picture-''fully finished''.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
As far as I know, it is just a bare shell without power, water pipes, etc. That's all I know about it.:roll:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
As far as I know, it is just a bare shell without power, water pipes, etc. That's all I know about it.:roll:

In that case, I would classify the three stages as follows:

1. Installation of services.
2. Covering up (of walls, floors & ceilings for concealment)
3. Finishing works.

The fitting-out job is only a small part of a normal construction project which involves the building structure and fabric.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Thank you so much!!!! What do you think about Russian translators' suggestion? For the first picture they suggest- ''shell and core'', for the second-''semi-finished'', and for the third picture-''fully finished''.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much!!!! What do you think about the Russian translators' suggestions? For the first picture they suggest- ''shell and core'', for the second-''semi-finished'', and for the third picture-''fully finished''.

Interesting stuff!

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Wasn't sure if the definite article was required. I thought I was not talking about the specific translators...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You were talking about the specific translators whose suggested translations you went on to quote.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you think about the Russian translators' suggestions?
I see this as the specific suggestions of the Russian translators. If you omit the article, it means "What do you think of Russian translators' suggestions in general (as opposed to other people's suggestions)?"

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thank you so much!!!! What do you think about Russian translators' suggestion? For the first picture they suggest- ''shell and core'', for the second-''semi-finished'', and for the third picture-''fully finished''.

"Shell" is a layman term for an empty building structure. The structure has been completed by others. This is basically a fitting-out job without involving the structure. Core is the centre part of something, I don't see how it is relevant here.
"Semi- finished" and "finished" are the states of the work, not the stages or phases of the work.
I think, as an architect, I am better qualified to speak on construction.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
''I think, as an architect, I am better qualified to speak on construction''. That's why I was wondering your opinion. Thank you. :)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Even if something is mentioned for the first time and it is something specific the indefinite article is never used, right? For example: ''there is a book on the table''. (the specific table) And in similar examples and more complex sententces.

Status
Not open for further replies.