Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Dear All,

What is the meaning of "through a measure from" in the following context? Through a measure from 2011, its roots can be traced back to 2004 when the European Commission launched a review... Thank you.

It's from a book https://www.elgaronline.com/view/edcoll/9781785369339/9781785369339.xml

Source: EU Regulation of E-Commerce by Arno R Lodder and Andrew D Murray

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Dear[/STRIKE] Hi, all.

What is the meaning of "through a measure from" in the following context?

Through a measure from 2011, its roots can be traced back to 2004 when the European Commission launched a review...

[STRIKE]Thank you.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the Thank button.

It's from a book https://www.elgaronline.com/view/edcoll/9781785369339/9781785369339.xml

Source: EU Regulation of E-Commerce by Arno R Lodder and Andrew D Murray

Note my corrections and comments above. Please note also that I have added the source and authors to post 1. We shouldn't have to click on an external link to get the information.

What particularly are you struggling with? Is it the use of "through"? Is it the use of "a measure"? What do you think it could mean?

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
My view is that "Although the Directive is dated 2011, the drafting process began long before."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think you're mixing up "through" (in the original) and "though" (that's where I think you got the potential "although" from).

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can I admit that any legal act if adopted after 2011 will nevertheless be based in the measure of 2004?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. I don't know how you got that from Through a measure from 2011, its roots can be traced back to 2004 when the European Commission launched a review.

The roots of 'it' (whatever that may be) can be traced back from the date of 'it', through/via a measure taken in 2011, to 2004, when the European Commission launched a review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.