Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Please explain to me the words in bold.

The assumption that Hollywood will take all that quiet, moody atmosphere and stomp the life out of it with Godzilla-like clumsiness is understandable: when it comes to remakes, American studios don't have the best track record. And Scandinavian films seem especially likely to lose something in translation: if La-la Land is all about surface, lightness, and escapism, the land of Bergman, IKEA, and the Nobel Prize is somber, cool, and understated. Yet when it comes to cinematic source material, Scandinavia has never been hotter. A remake of the Danish film Brothers came out last year, and many more adaptations are in the works.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I imagine that all languages have some expressions which are unique and virtually untranslatable.

Those whose job it is to attempt to translate them can only come close to the original meaning, which inevitably loses something in translation.

I don't know about source material.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I imagine that all languages have some expressions which are unique and virtually untranslatable.

Those whose job it is to attempt to translate them can only come close to the original meaning, which inevitably loses something in translation.

I don't know about source material.

Rover

Yes, if you lose something in the translation, it means that some nuance or subtleties are lost when you change it from one language to another.

"Source material" generally means the information upon which something else is based.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can also use this expression more idiomatically to talk about the original meaning or other qualities of a work being lost or changed when adapted in another medium; for example, many novels get 'lost in translation' when they are made into films.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
-In translation: this is a highly frequent expression in the science of translation. It means: when something is translated; translated form.
-Something: some information
-When Scandinavian movies are translated (into English ,etc), some pieces of their information are left untranslated.

-Source material: the thematic essence and subject of something.
-The subject of Scandinavian movies is not that interesting.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
-Source material: the thematic essence and subject of something.
-The subject of Scandinavian movies is not that interesting.

No, that's quite the opposite!

The source material has never been better - that means that it's as good as it as ever been!

Status
Not open for further replies.