Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When answering the question "What do you do to reduce stress and what situation would give you butterflies in your stomach?" can I answer my question in the following way?

"To reduce stress, I listen to music. I took a very important test the other day. To relax, I took a deep breath and read again what I wrote. After I gave/had given the test to the teacher, I was completely sure that I had passed it. But I don't know how/what kind of situation would give me butterflies in my stomach."

Can I start a sentence with "to relax", "to reduce stress" and should it be "the teacher" if I mention the teacher for the first time?
I think I can use "had given" or "gave", but "what kind of situation" not "how would a situation".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The sentences are OK as they flow from the question. Can you really not think of a situation that would give you butterflies, though?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The sentences are OK as they flow from the question. Can you really not think of a situation that would give you butterflies, though?

Seeing my husband, for example. :) But I am more interested in the structure of the sentence and whether or not it's correct, rather then sharing my feelings. :)
Could you tell me if the rest of text is correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I lost track of how many questions there are in the OP. You say that to reduce stress you listen to music, but then you gave an entirely different example. Also, it's a little confusing. That is, did you have that feeling before or during the test?
A person has butterflies in anticipation of something they are about to do. For example, a person might be nervous about public speaking and get butterflies before a presentation..

It's not just any teacher you are talking about. It's your teacher. So I would say "the teacher" or "my teacher".

Say: " To relax, I took a deep breath and reread what I had written."

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I lost track of how many questions there are in the OP. You say that to reduce stress you listen to music, but then you gave an entirely different example. Also, it's a little confusing. That is, did you have that feeling before or during the test?
A person has butterflies in anticipation of something they are about to do. For example, a person might be nervous about public speaking and get butterflies before a presentation..

It's not just any teacher you are talking about. It's your teacher. So I would say "the teacher" or "my teacher".

Say: " To relax, I took a deep breath and r
Do you mean "to relax" is correct but "to reduce stress" isn't?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. They are both fine.

I hadn't finished that one. I posted it so I wouldn't lose it. When I came back to it to finish it somebody had already responded. (Here's a clue: it ended in the middle of a sentence. 😊)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. They are both fine.

I hadn't finished that one. I posted it so I wouldn't lose it. When I came back to it to finish it somebody had already responded. (Here's a clue: it ended in the middle of a sentence. 😊)
Could you tell me if both past simple and past perfect work in this sentence : "To relax, I took a deep breath and read again what I wrote"?
I mean in "I wrote" and "I had written".

And if I can say

1."I don't know what kind of situation would give me butterflies."
And
2." I don't how would a situation give me butterflies?"

Status
Not open for further replies.