Tourists are usually pressured to buy some "souvenirs" ...

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm trying to describe a phenomenon here. Please help me to make it natural. I will say this to some foreign friends who don't know too much about Chinese culture.

Tourists are usually pressured to buy some "souvenirs" which usually worth more than a few thousands yuan when traveling to other places. If they didn't buy those useless pieces, the guides would become super infuriated. One can click related videos on different social media. Since this has already become an open secret to the public and the government is thinking about ways to calm down the dissatisfied tourists.

which usually worth more than a few thousands yuan when traveling to other places.
That's ungrammatical, and its meaning is unclear. Rephrase it.
If they didn't buy those useless pieces, don't buy anything, the guides would become irritated, and sometimes even angry. super infuriated. One can click related You can see videos about that on different social media. Since this has already become a common phenomenon and many people here are talking about it, an open secret to the public and* the government is thinking about considering ways/measures to deal with it. calm down the dissatisfied tourists.

That's ungrammatical, and its meaning is unclear. Rephrase it.
Tourists are usually pressured to buy some "souvenirs" when traveling to other places in China. Such souvenirs are usually charged with exorbitant prices.

Is this better?

Tourists are usually pressured to buy some "souvenirs" when traveling to other places in around China. Such souvenirs are usually charged with sold at exorbitant/highly inflated prices.
See above.

Note that I have changed your thread title.
Your original title "Many tourists" does not appear anywhere in your text. I'm sure we've told you before how to construct thread titles. Use some/all of the words from the phrase/sentence you're asking us to look at. Titles must be unique and relevant only to your thread.

There is no need to put the word souvenirs in quotation marks. It's a common noun and you're using it with its normal definition.

I left the quotes because I assumed the OP meant those items were not real souvenirs but simply items traders try to peddle as souvenirs.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back