Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the expression "turned upon her back", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

His wife had the old double bed, with metal railings at each end and brass knobs at the corners. It had been one of their first purchases when they had married, but the springs had stretched, and Mrs. Stevens lay rather deep in it. At first Mr. Stevens could see nothing but the top of a little pink nightcap, but when he gently shook her, she pushed down the clothes and turned upon her back with a faint grunt. For a moment her eyes roved vaguely to and fro; then fixed themselves on Mr. Stevens and opened wide with consternation.

- R. C. Sherriff, The Fortnight in September, Chapter 4

This is a novel published in 1931, which describes a fortnight in September in which an English family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Stevens, Mary, Dick, and Ernie go on a holiday. Mr. Stevens is waking up his wife on the day of their departure for the holiday.

(I am starting a new book! :D)

In this part, I am not sure what the underlined expression means.

Would that perhaps mean:
1) She turned to her side, so that she showed her back towards Mr. Stevens; or
2) She turned to let her back come in contact with her bed, so that she was lying while facing the ceiling...?

These are just my humble guesses, and I am not sure which one might be correct. :D

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She was probably sleeping on her stomach or on her side. When she turned she was on her back

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@5jj and @Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
So it means that she, after sleeping on her side or on her stomach, turned his body so that her back was in contact with the bed.
I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.