Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

I recently replied to an estate agent asking me if I was available for a list of viewings with the following sentence:

“The only one I am not able to do for sure is the first morning one (10:15-10:45) as I have a work meeting during that time.”

I am curious to see what you understand as native speakers/English language teachers. I am having a bit of an argument with my partner about it (neither of us are English native speakers).

Thank you!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
“The only one I am not able to do for sure is the first morning one (10:15-10:45) as I have a work meeting during that time.”
It's OK. However, I would probably say, "The only one I am definitely not able to do ...."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your response is grammatically correct and fairly natural. I say "fairly natural" because it's quite formal - "I am not able" and "during that time" aren't what most native speakers would use in everyday English. We use contractions and less formal language most of the time. My response would be "The only one I definitely can't do is 10.15. I've got a work meeting".

Out of curiosity, what does your partner think is wrong with your version?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'd have expected it to be said the other way round: I'm fine with all the viewings except the one at 10.15.

Also, your sentence sounds at first as if you aren't absolutely sure of the 10.15 one (and that it might just be possible), and then goes on to give the impression you definitely can't make it. If you had said "I may have some work at that time", it'd have gone better with "for sure".

Ferow88

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Thank you all for your replies so far!

My partner was saying exactly what @Barque mentioned, that it sounds like I’m not absolutely sure about that first viewing, while I intend it like I’m definitely sure I can’t make it due to my work commitments.

It’s great to see it can be intended both ways, I have been in the UK for 10 years and it’s still a learning curve :)

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
It’s great to see it can be intended both ways,
I don't think it has both meanings. It only sounds as if you aren't absolutely sure.

Strangely, if you drop the words "for sure" from your sentence, it will then sound as if you are sure you can't make it. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Ferow88 I had to reread the OP to reacquaint myself with that sentence. I agree with @Barque. It might be better to say, "I definitely can't make that one" or something like that. However, context will always make it clear what you mean. Also, in conversation we often make sure the other person understands what we are saying to avoid any misunderstanding. (There are several ways to do that )

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your sentence can definitely be interpreted in both ways. The ambiguity comes from the fact that you've put the certainty modifier for sure in the wrong place.

The only one I am definitely not able to do ...

This is what you mean. Note that the modifier definitely wants to be directly prior to what it's modifying, which is not able.

However, with your positioning, where the modifier is proximate to the verb phrase to do, the meaning is compromised. A listener (including your wife) could easily interpret the modifier to be modifying to do instead of not able.

Having said that, given the context, I had no major problem interpreting what you really meant, despite the fact that the word order was wrong.

Another point is that you've used for sure in the wrong way. It's okay to use this phrase after a verb phrase, like this:

The only thing I know for sure is that ...
It's difficult to say for sure.
We'll win for sure.

... but you can't use it to modify following adjectives, as in your original sentence.

Your wife is for sure right. ❌

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't see any ambiguity at all. He's sure that he can't do the first morning one. The others he may or may not be able to make.

Princessdi50

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Trinidad Tobago
Current Location
Trinidad Tobago
Example of an Oxymoron. .. Not able .. for sure!
It means that he/she would definitely be unable to meet the scheduled 10 15 meet up

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Example of an oxymoron: "... Not able ... for sure"!
It means that he/she would definitely be unable to meet the scheduled 10.15 meet up.
Please note my corrections to your capitalisation and punctuation above. Please bear in mind that learners on the forum will see "English teacher" in your profile and assume that everything you write is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.