Using the "always" word in the present continuous and other proposals in this tense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoldbeginner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello! I am a beginner who doesn't know for what english speakers use the present continuous tense. All what I learned is that it only is used for describing processes these are happening right now. But, I also saw the proposal - "The baby is always making cute gurgling noises". Some people say the "always" word is used only for negative connotation. But, maybe it is not always used as negative one(for example the proposal with the baby)?
There is also another question: I also saw the other proposals using infinitive in the present continuous - They are working hard to earn money
I am training to become a professional footballer
Mike is studying hard to become a doctor
I don't understand what these proposals mean: maybe fact(like the present simple), maybe the long process(I only know that the present continuous means short processes happening right now, but maybe I am wrong).

I would be glad if someone help in my researches of English sense :) .

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Anoldbeginner. :)

We answer questions about individual words phrases and sentences here rather than teach topics in grammar.

This article may be useful as general guide to the continuous form (referred to in the article as the durative aspect). If you have questions about any of the example sentences, feel free to ask them in this forum, starting a new thread for each sentence, please.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Anoldlearner. :)

I have faded out your second question, which should be posted in a new thread of its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.