Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello.

Can anybody explain to me what the author means by "venture" in the text? I have looked up all the meanings but still I am at sea ...

‘She told it with all the particulars; and even to me, who knew beforehand that the room wasn’t there, it seemed just as real as could be. She said it was on the north side, between the front and back rooms; that it was very small, and they sometimes called it an entry. There was a door also that opened out-of-doors, and that one was painted green, and was cut in the middle like the old Dutch doors, so that it could be used for a window by opening the top part only. Directly opposite the door was a lounge or couch; it was covered with blue chintz—India chintz—some that had been brought over by an old Salem sea-captain as a “venture.” He had given it to Hannah when she was a young girl. She was sent to Salem for two years to school. Grandfather originally came from Salem.’
‘I thought there wasn’t any room or chintz.’
That is just it. They had decided that mother had imagined it all, and yet you see how exactly everything was painted in her mind, for she had even remembered that Hiram had told her that Hannah could have married the sea-captain if she had wanted to!"

The Little Room, Madeline Yale Wynne, 1895.

Thank you very much.

A 'venture' in the context of that text would generally imply.some kind of 'investment', that the person bought the object to perhaps sell later or just to keep so that it accumulates in value.
It's not entirely dissimilar to hearing people say 'business venture' which will revolve around investing.
In a nutshell: venture revolves around investing or some kind of investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. Look up:

- speculation
- venture capitalist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back