Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have used the verb "confine" in the following sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes.

1. After her husband's death, Hannah confined herself to her house, seldom leaving it, and occasionally inviting a few old friends.
2. She felt confined in her marriage and thought of a divorce, as soon as her children grew up.
3. The police tried to confine the demonstrators in one street to prevent them from reaching the Parliament.
4. Peter was confined to bed most of the time in the last two months, which had strained him both physically and mentally.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, "confine" is correctly used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have used the verb "confine" in the following sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes.

1. After her husband's death, Hannah confined herself to her house, seldom leaving it, and occasionally inviting a few old friends to visit.
I would use "to the house", rather than "to her house" but your version is not wrong.

2. She felt confined in her marriage and thought [STRIKE]of a divorce[/STRIKE] about divorcing/about getting divorced, as soon as her children grew up.
I might use "confined by her marriage".

3. The police tried to confine the demonstrators [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] to one street to prevent them from reaching the Parliament building.
I would use either "the Parliament building" or just "Parliament" (no article).

4. Peter was confined to bed most of the time [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] for/over the last two months, which [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] strained him both physically and mentally.

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.