Was (...) actually - wasn't (...) actualy (...) was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dearsei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

I am struggling with this one particular sentence:

After all, was the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world based on the olive oil, actually?

Well, I just feel there is something wrong in it.

Should I write:

After all, wasn't the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world actually based on the olive oil, was it?

Or, should I write:

After all, was the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world actually based on the olive oil?

Thank you

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I am struggling with this one particular sentence.

After all, was the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world based on the olive oil, actually?

Well, I just feel there is something wrong with it.

Should I write:

After all, wasn't the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world actually based on the olive oil, was it?

Or, should I write:

After all, was the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world actually based on the olive oil?

Perhaps:

Was the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world based on olive oil?

Or:

Wasn't the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world based on olive oil?

The two sentences are quite different, but since I don't know the context I don't know which fits.

dearsei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi Tarheel,

thank you for the response. The paragraph goes like this:

"When Tom Mueller, The New Yorker’s reporter, exposed in 2007 the olive oil industry as boldly corrupted, it was clear that we all have a problem now. After all, was the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world based on the olive oil, actually? Well, that’s a bummer."

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

After all, wasn't the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world based on olive oil?

It is clear now that he wasn't really asking a question. That is, he was asking a question, but he wasn't expecting an answer.

I don't know what the problem with the olive oil was, but that's the concern.

That one likes to use certain words for no particular reason. (For example, "actually".)

dearsei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
After all, wasn't the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world based on olive oil, actually?

I am wondering about that "actually". Is it proper to use it like in the sentence above? Can we emphasis a sentence with "atually", actually? Or is just useless form?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I am struggling with this one particular sentence:

After all, wasn't the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world actually based on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] olive oil[STRIKE], actually[/STRIKE]?

Well, I just feel there is something wrong in it.

Should I write:

After all, wasn't the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world actually
based on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] olive oil[STRIKE], was it[/STRIKE]?

Or, should I write:

After all, wasn't the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world actually based on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] olive oil?

Thank you
You're welcome!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After all, wasn't the culinary renaissance that was sweeping across the world actually based on olive oil[STRIKE], actually[/STRIKE]?

I am wondering about that "actually". Is it proper to use it like I did in the sentence above? Can we actually emphasis a sentence with "atually"[STRIKE], actually[/STRIKE]? Or is just useless [STRIKE]form[/STRIKE]?
It's not useless.

But the word does not add emphasis. It adds reality. Examples:

- Me: The culinary renaissance was based on lard.
- You: Actually, it was based on olive oil.

- You: I never expected to win the gold medal.
- Me: And you did! You actually won!

dearsei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
[

Thank you Charlie.

However, what about this.

- Did Jeff wash the dishes?
- Well, it was Mark, actually!

The analogy here is the phrase "well, Hove actually".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[

Thank you Charlie.

However, what about this?:

- Did Jeff wash the dishes?
- Well, it was Mark, actually!

That's fine. Or you could say, "It was actually Mark" or "Actually, it was Mark."

The analogy here is the phrase "Well, Hove actually".

I don't understand that phrase. Hove actually — what?
Putting "actually" at the end of a very short sentence works. At the end of a long sentence, it can sound unnatural. "Actually" is a weak word, and it's usually better to end sentences with strong words.

dearsei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Putting "actually" at the end of a very short sentence works. At the end of a long sentence, it can sound unnatural. "Actually" is a weak word, and it's usually better to end sentences with strong words.

I see. Thanks.

Regarding the phrase. It originated in UK in a place called Hove, that now constitutes together with Brighton one city, yet not so long ago the two were still separate entities. "Hove, actually" was a humorous reply made by Hove's residents, when asked if they live in Brighton.

https://jindesigns.com/blogs/latest-news/the-story-behind-hove-actually

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see. Thanks.

Regarding the phrase. It originated in UK in a place called Hove, that now constitutes together with Brighton one city, yet not so long ago the two were still separate entities. "Hove, actually" was a humorous reply made by Hove's residents, when asked if they live in Brighton.

https://jindesigns.com/blogs/latest-news/the-story-behind-hove-actually
With a comma after Hove, it makes sense. What you wrote in post 8 was "Well, Hove actually." So I wondered: Hove actually what?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

A: Did Jeff wash the dishes?
B: No, Mark did.

Some people apparently think "actually" is so wonderful that they use it as often as possible. I do not share that view.

Status
Not open for further replies.