Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

Please check these parahgraphs.

"I went to my aunt's house. I filled some bottles so that I could drink water, but I didn't put them into fridge so that I get normal water when I open them and drink water with them. I left them out side".

"I put water bottles in fridge because I knew that, If I didn't do so, I would not get cold water".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first set of sentences is barely understandable.

The second sentence is much better, but it needs a little help.

"I put water bottles in the fridge because I knew that [no comma] if I didn't do so, I would not have cold water".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
But what about my first parahgraph? What are the gramatical mistakes. I have come to know that if we want to depict a future happening while talking about past we have to use present there. So I just want to learn that.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But what about my first parahgraph? What are the gramatical mistakes. I have come to know that if we want to depict a future happening while talking about past we have to use present there. So I just want to learn that.
Here's the bit you want in the present tense:
"... so [STRIKE]that [/STRIKE] now I get [STRIKE]normal[/STRIKE] lukewarm water when I open [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] and drink them."
"so that" is wrong in this context.
The above is right if you wanted cold water, but forgot to put them in the fridge. If you wanted warm water, either the above, or:
"... so that I would get warm water when I opened and drank them."

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
OK if are using "So that" then we can't use present, we have to continue in past if we are talking about future happening. Is it correct?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
OK if are using "So that" then we can't use present, we have to continue in past if we are talking about future happening. Is it correct?
No, that's not the point. "So that" means "in order that" in sentence 1 below.
1. "I put the bottle in the fridge so that it would be cold". You put it in the fridge with the intention of making it cold.
2. "I put the bottle in the fridge. So it will be cold." This doesn't imply intention, only the effect of it having been in the fridge.
3. "I put the bottle in the fridge so it will be cold." This is ambiguous. It might imply your intention, and it might not - because we don't know whether an implied 'that' has been left out. A comma before 'so' would suggest it means the same as 2.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am getting confused now, just tell me if there is a future happening in our past depiction, do we need to use "present or can we also use past", Is it upto us?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am getting confused now, just tell me if there is a future happening in our past depiction, do we need to use "present or can we also use past", Is it upto us?
I thought you'd get confused. You want simple answers to questions that don't have them.

You have provided "I put water bottles in fridge because I knew that, If I didn't do so, I would not get cold water".
That sentence is in the past and has a future happening which is expressed in the past. So, no, it's always necessary to use the present tense. But no, it's not up to us - it depends on the context.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please check these. "On sunday it started raining so I brought tablle in so that it would not get wet or it doesn't get wet". "I put eggs in the fridge so that their yellow parts do not get mixed with white part or would not get mixed woth white part"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sentence one - "so that it would not get wet". You mentioned a specific time, Sunday, so that is when you were worried about it getting wet.
Sentence two - It depends on whether the eggs are still in the fridge for this purpose. If they are, you may use the first version (because it's still present), or the second. If not, you use the second (because it's past).

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please check this on as well "I put eggs in the fridge instead of fridger because I didn't want them to get freezed, because I wanted that when I take them out I get cold eggs. After some time I took them out and ate them".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Please check this on as well "I put eggs in the fridge instead of freezer because I didn't want them to get frozen, because I wanted [STRIKE]that when I [/STRIKE] to be able to take them out and get cold eggs. After some time I took them out and ate them".
We don't say "I wanted that ..." If you find yourself writing that, you need to rephrase it. .
*"I wanted that she come too" Wrong.
"I wanted her to come too" Right.

Status
Not open for further replies.