We are ready, are you?

No. You might say "We are ready. Are you?" is a short version of "We are ready. Are you ready too?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes see "do you?" used in a similiar way above. Does it mean the same as your explanation?

I sometimes see "do you?" used in a similiar similar way to above. Does it mean the same as your explanation?
Not after "We're ready", no. It wouldn't make sense. Please give us a full example with "do you?" at the end.

Not after "We're ready", no. It wouldn't make sense. Please give us a full example with "do you?" at the end.
A: I got a full mark in my last test.
B: Did you?

A: I'm going to England this summer.
B: Are you? That's great.

Do these mean "did you got it?" and "are you going?"

The second speaker seems doubtful that the first speaker is telling the truth.

What's a full mark?

The second speaker seems at least mildly surprised.

The second sentence should have an exclamation mark, thus: That's great!

Last edited:
A: I got a full mark full marks in/on my last test.

Do these B's lines mean "Did you got get it?" and "Are you going?"
As written, both B's lines are sort of fillers. Only a specific tone of voice would make them express surprise. In the first example, other, different tones of voice could express disbelief or dismay, or delight. That's not really the case with the second example because we know from "That's great" that the B is happy for A (unless B is being sarcastic, of course!)

As written, both B's lines are sort of fillers. Only a specific tone of voice would make them express surprise. In the first example, other, different tones of voice could express disbelief or dismay, or delight. That's not really the case with the second example because we know from "That's great" that the B is happy for A (unless B is being sarcastic, of course!)
Are "Did you?" and "Are you?" also short for "Did you get full marks?" and "Are you going to England?" in this context?

"Did you?" could be considered short for "Did you really?" or "Did you really get full marks?" although in speech either would be quite unnatural.

"Are you?" could be considered short for, "Are you really going to England?" and probably expresses disbelief.

"Are you?" could be considered short for, "Are you really going to England?" and probably expresses disbelief.
Does "could" mean "can" here?

Back