Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
“This really is a seminal moment in American history, so we gone pray for America, that it won’t act like its usual self,” Crump says that Sunday night before the trial to the men in the circle. “We gone pray she will be her very best self and deliver justice to this family.”
https://time.com/6016193/ben-crump/

What does the word "gone" mean in the above passage?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's another way to spell "gonna". Both instances of "we gone pray" mean we're going to pray.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
“This really is a seminal moment in American history, so we gone pray for America, that it won’t act like its usual self,” Crump says that Sunday night before the trial to the men in the circle. “We gone pray she will be her very best self and deliver justice to this family.”
https://time.com/6016193/ben-crump/

What does the word "gone" mean in the above passage?

It's Ebonics. "We gone pray . . ." = "We gonn(a) pray . . ." = "We are going to pray . . . ."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Wow, I would have taken it as a typo/mistake.
"gonna", yes; but "gone" (short for going to), new to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've heard it lots in American films and TV series but I don't think I'd ever seen it written down before. The transcription is spot-on, though. The only thing I'd say is that when I've heard it, the "o" has sounded more like "oh" than the short "o" of BrE "gone".

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've heard it lots in American films and TV series but I don't think I'd ever seen it written down before. The transcription is spot-on, though. The only thing I'd say is that when I've heard it, the "o" has sounded more like "oh" than the short "o" of BrE "gone".

I think I prefer the transcription We gon' pray, with just the apostrophe, indicating a truncated gonna. There is an elided/forgotten are/'re, too, of course, after We.

Compare: We gon' be a'ight. (= We are going to be all right.) In Ebonics, gone can actually mean gone and sound like it: We gone (= We are gone).

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I really think this use of gone is confined to AAVE (Afro-American Vernacular English, because in most American speech the gonna is reduced to nothing or almost nothing. I'm reminded of the southerner who was asked if he was going to evacuate ahead of an impending hurricane: "Nope. I'm a stay right here."

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think I prefer the transcription We gon' pray, with just the apostrophe, indicating a truncated gonna.

I couldn't agree more. I can't imagine why the writer thought it was a good idea to put an 'e' at the end there.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I couldn't agree more. I can't imagine why the writer thought it was a good idea to put an 'e' at the end there.

I think the e is on the end because in AAVE, which the author was trying to represent,
gone
rhymes with phone, although it doesn't in other varieties of AmE.

Status
Not open for further replies.