We must have accidentally switched the strollers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I don't know about that "rule" but all those example sentences are quite natural.

(Since a native speaker usually knows what he knows implicitly and not explicitly it can be hard to explain things.)

Why is half of that in French?
:)

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Well, I don't know about that "rule" but all those example sentences are quite natural.

(Since a native speaker usually knows what he knows implicitly and not explicitly it can be hard to explain things.)

Why is half of that in French?
:)

So do you put the adverb before the main verb regardless of the number of auxiliary verbs?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It looks that way.
:-D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When did most cases = all cases? You will come across cases where people say might possibly have happened, so it's your rule that needs refining.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have heard that, in most cases, the adverb goes after the first auxiliary verb. Is this true?

That's not a good rule. I'm guessing that whoever told you that was thinking only about certain kinds of adverbs (adverbs of probability like possibly, certainly, definitely, etc.) since those words contribute to the modality of proximate modal auxiliaries. I don't know.

To speak in the most general way possible, the rule is that an adverb 'wants' to go directly next to the linguistic unit (word or phrase or sentence) that it modifies. In this case, it's quite clear: accidentally modifies the verb switched, so it goes directly next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.