Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As I read "...We should be at a place...", my first reaction is that if I wrote it, I would have written "...We should have been at a place..."

What is the difference between "...should be..." and "...should have been..."? It seems to me that "should have been" is more emphatic than "should be". I am not sure.

=================
The surges in cases happen so quickly — some labs have seen their demand double or triple in a matter of days — that health providers have little time to broker relationships with new testing partners.

“I’m continuously frustrated that this is still a problem,” said Kelly Wroblewski, director of infectious diseases at the Association of Public Health Laboratories. “We should be at a place where getting a test isn’t as challenging as it used to be.”

Source: NYTimes June 25, 2020
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/upshot/virus-testing-shortfall-arizona.html

No. The difference is that "we should have been" refers to a time in the past. Therefore it leaves open the possibility the we are now at that place. In contrast, "we should be .. " makes it clear thay we have not yet reached that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back