Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I've heard this song numerous times but must confess I don't actually understand it. Of course I understand the words, but the "core sense" (just don't know how to express my thought better) is "out of reach" for me. Why is it called by many an "anthem"? What are the stanzas really about? You've surely heard the song. Does it make any sense to you?

When I already wrote the above, it crossed my mind that the song might be about "football/soccer". "Kicking your can all over the place" might be an act of playing football with a can by children. "Waving your banner" might be about football fans. Just a guess. Is it a football anthem?

What do yo think of the song?

Buddy you're a boy make a big noise
Playin' in the street gonna be a big man some day
You got mud on yo' face
You big disgrace
Kickin' your can all over the place
Singin'

We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you

Buddy you're a young man hard man
Shouting in the street gonna take on the world some day
You got blood on yo' face
You big disgrace
Wavin' your banner all over the place

We will we will rock you
Sing it
We will we will rock you

Buddy you're an old man poor man
Pleadin' with your eyes gonna make
You some peace some day
You got mud on your face
Big disgrace
Somebody betta put you back into your place

We will we will rock you
Sing it
We will we will rock you
Everybody
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you
Alright

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't offer anything except my own interpretation.

It's definitely not about soccer, no. Each verse focuses on a different stage of the life of the British working class man living in the 1970s, feeling angered by the constraints of his predicament, inescapable in every way but joining a rock and roll band. This is a song written by people who love rock music for people who love and live for rock music.

As a drummer, I think the lyrics of this song are a work of brilliance. Despite being famous for its percussion, the song doesn't actually feature any drums! This heavy percussive effect (apart from the killer 'stomp, stomp, clap', of course) comes from Freddie's genius use of alliteration. Listen again to the first verse and notice how the heavy plosive bilabials /b/ and /p/ not only follow the beat but actually play the role of the bass drum. The rhythm of the /k/ in the final line stands in similarly for the snare.

Buddy you're a boy make a big noise
Playin' in the street gonna be a big man some day
You got mud on yo' face
You big disgrace
Kickin' your can all over the place

Last edited:

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thanks for your interpretation, Jutfrank. That's exactly what I'm interested in - your (I mean all the forum users') interpretations!

I've realised why the association with football came to me. Here, I found some info about the history of the song: "In the Days of Our Lives documentary, he remembered a gig where the crowd chanted the Liverpool Football Club anthem, "You'll Never Walk Alone" at the band as they left the stage. "I went to bed thinking, 'What could you ask them to do?' They're all squeezed in there, but they can clap their hands, they can stamp their feet, and they can sing," he noted. "In the morning I woke up and had the idea in my head for 'We Will Rock You."

It doesn't mean that the song is about football, of course. I just wanted to share that train of thought which led to the football hypothesis. :)

Those p and b sounds are really explosive! And I like your drum theory. There is a lot of food for thought.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suppose waving your banner refers to the fact that young men (and women) easily become activated by political causes.

Regarding your point about the song being an anthem, I wouldn't describe it as such at all. We Are The Champions -- now, that's an anthem!

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Regarding your point about the song being an anthem, I wouldn't describe it as such at all. We Are The Champions -- now, that's an anthem!
It's not really me who decided to call it that. For instance: "Since its release, the song has become a staple at sports events around the world as a stadium anthem, mostly due to its simple rhythm.".
Or: “‘We Will Rock You’ is not only an iconic rock anthem but the energy — the ‘stomp, stomp, clap’ — and rhythm of this song energizes fans at every event,” said BMI President & CEO Del Bryant. “A great song inspires and engages you, and this song grabs you from the first bar. It’s an anthem and rightfully deserving of this distinction in the sporting world.”

And the fact that people at least use the song as an anthem at various sports events interests me enormously. What do those people think about when performing the song at the stadium? Is there the connection between the lyrics and the event at which the song's performed?

I suppose waving your banner refers to the fact that young men (and women) easily become activated by political causes.
Yes, I thought about it too. The problem with this interpretation (for me) is that I don't see the connection between the ideas in the 1, 2 and 3rd verses (or stanzas?), the chorus, and the fact that the song is used as an anthem.

What is the main idea of the song? In the first verse, we see a boy who has obviously nothing better to do than "kick a can all over the place". In the second, the same boy, having got older, starts to participate in various political events. The third is clearly about the "retirement". What makes people sing this song at the stadium (putting aside the musical part of the song)?

And there is an important question I forgot to ask yesterday. What does the word "rock" mean in the context? Does it mean "We will make you excited" or something like that? If so, again, how is this idea connected to the ones in the verses?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not really me who decided to call it that. For instance: "Since its release, the song has become a staple at sports events around the world as a stadium anthem, mostly due to its simple rhythm.".
Or: “‘We Will Rock You’ is not only an iconic rock anthem but the energy — the ‘stomp, stomp, clap’ — and rhythm of this song energizes fans at every event,” said BMI President & CEO Del Bryant. “A great song inspires and engages you, and this song grabs you from the first bar. It’s an anthem and rightfully deserving of this distinction in the sporting world.”

Fair point.

And the fact that people at least use the song as an anthem at various sports events interests me enormously. What do those people think about when performing the song at the stadium? Is there the connection between the lyrics and the event at which the song's performed?

I don't think so. Lyrically speaking, the only connection I can even imagine at a sports event is We will we will rock (=beat?) you!

Yes, I thought about it too. The problem with this interpretation (for me) is that I don't see the connection between the ideas in the 1, 2 and 3rd verses (or stanzas?), the chorus, and the fact that the song is used as an anthem.

But the song was not written with the aim of being played at sports events. Brian May was talking about stadium concerts, not sports events.

What is the main idea of the song? In the first verse, we see a boy who has obviously nothing better to do than "kick a can all over the place". In the second, the same boy, having got older, starts to participate in various political events. The third is clearly about the "retirement". What makes people sing this song at the stadium (putting aside the musical part of the song)?

My guess is that it simply caught on. Probably because it's such a brilliant, simple song, that the audience can easily interact with, as Brian says.

And there is an important question I forgot to ask yesterday. What does the word "rock" mean in the context? Does it mean "We will make you excited" or something like that? If so, again, how is this idea connected to the ones in the verses?

I told you my interpretation about the attraction of rock bands to working class men. But that's a good question for you to consider ...

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I told you my interpretation about the attraction of rock bands to working class men. But that's a good question for you to consider ...
How would you interpret the word "rock" here? In other words. It's obviously not one of the definitions in this dictionary. Do you mean by talking about "the attraction of rock bands to working class men" that "we will rock you" means "we'll convert you into a rocker"? I thought about this word for some time and still can't arrive at any definite conclusion. What on Earth does "rock" mean?! :) They don't want to say "We'll sing you a lullaby and rock you in your cradle", right? It's not "We'll beat you", as you said. Then what? "We'll make a rocker out of you"? I'm sure it's something else though I don't know what it is. :-?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I understand we will rock you to mean "we will excite you."

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thanks, GS. Maybe, following Jutfrank's interpretation, it could be rephrased as "we'll help you unleash the fury/the beast inside you"?

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Maybe I'm not far from the right interpretation of "rock" (post 9) thanks to Jutfrank, GS, and... Twisted Sister! I've recalled their song "I Wanna Rock" after typing post 9. Is this what "rock" in our context really means? :-D

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
OK, it was "we will excite you". I'll better stop making things out . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.