Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Which Day Is The Next Sunday When Today Is Thursday?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Which[/STRIKE] What day is [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] "next Sunday" [STRIKE]when[/STRIKE] if today is Thursday?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. We don't capitalise the first letter of every word in written English. We capitalise the first letter of every sentence, all proper nouns and the personal pronoun "I". Also note that I have changed your thread title so that it is unique and relevant to the thread.

You might not get a straight answer to this question! On Thursday, I would call the coming Sunday "this Sunday" and the Sunday after that "Sunday week". However, if someone said "next Sunday" on a Thursday, I would initially assume they were referring to the day three days later, but I might ask them to clarify.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
if someone said "next Sunday" on a Thursday, I would initially assume they were referring to the day three days later, but I might ask them to clarify.
I would initially assume they were referring to the day ten days later, but I would ask them to clarify.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is a true story that happened to me last Wednesday. I was talking to two people—an intermediate learner and another native speaker. The learner said "next Saturday" (meaning in three days' time) and both I and the other native speaker understood that he was referring to the day in ten days' time. I think the vast majority of native speakers would have misinterpreted what he said in the same way as we did.

As emsr2d2 says, if the day is coming up, we normally say this Sunday.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On a Thursday, I would interpret 'next Sunday' to be ten days away. If referring to the Sunday three days away, I would use (and expect to hear) 'this Sunday', 'this coming Sunday', or perhaps even simply 'on Sunday'.

Status
Not open for further replies.