Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I can't clearly understand what a "practical" example is. I mean, is there any impractical example?

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could you give us the sentence in which you saw or heard the phrase?

Joey Wu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sure. So I actually ran across this expression while I was doing the English-Chinese translation practice. The original text goes like this:

Already we can see that, as terrible as the crisis is, it brings out the best in many. It is also a reminder of three essential factors for a successful recovery. First, we will overcome the crisis more quickly and effectively if we work together across existing divides, of whatever sort they may be. The example of companies from very different fields teaming up to build breathing aides together is a very practical example.

Second, expertise and evidence-based decisions count and make all the difference. We will hardly beat the virus and resurrect our economies based on guesswork and gut feelings. The sharing of private sector mobility data with governments to help contain COVID-19 infections is a shining example.

Looking forward to your reply!

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
A practical example is an example using a real life situation, or something that actually happens in practice.

I mean, is there any impractical example?
People might make up examples by referring to things that only happen in theory and not in real life, or very rarely in real life.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Joey Wu Please make sure you give us the complete sentence and the source in post #1 in future.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't clearly understand what a "practical" example is. I mean, is there any impractical example?
There are things like theoretical examples, which are not taken from real life and may be less useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.