[General] What does "artistic edge" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pham Thanh

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi all,

I am the new to this forum. And I am really interested in learning English day by day.
I just found the phrase on TV "artistic edge" and have no idea of it. Could you take time and let me know what meaning of it is? Thank you for your help.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If a person has an artistic edge, they have a side to their character that is artistic, which they apply in their work, etc. It could be used where someone shows an artistic side when it isn't expected.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all,

I am new to to this forum, and I am really interested in learning English day by day.
I just found the phrase on TV "artistic edge" and have no idea what it means. Could you take time and let me know what the meaning of it is? Thank you for your help.

Welcome!

Tdol's answer is good. We can tell you more about what it means if you tell us more about how it was used.

There's a French expression we often use in English to describe art that is on the cultural edge: avante garde.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could mean different things in different contexts.

Pham Thanh

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Welcome!

Tdol's answer is good. We can tell you more about what it means if you tell us more about how it was used.

There's a French expression we often use in English to describe art that is on the cultural edge: avante garde.
Thank you Charlie for correcting my English, first.
This phrase was mentioned in a documentary of The Beatles. It seems that people referred this phrase to The Beatles.

Pham Thanh

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
If a person has an artistic edge, they have a side to their character that is artistic, which they apply in their work, etc. It could be used where someone shows an artistic side when it isn't expected.
Hi Tdol,

Thank you. Now, I know it. Before posting this, I was just confused by the word "edge" but now it makes sense from your explanation.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you Charlie for correcting my English, first.
This phrase was mentioned in a documentary of The Beatles. It seems that people referred this phrase to The Beatles.

We always ask students to give the entire sentence so that we can understand the context. Can you tell us the whole sentence?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We'd need the exact context to be sure, but I suspect here an 'artistic edge' means an advantage or lead over other artists.

See definition 2d here.

Status
Not open for further replies.