Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Hello !
This time I have a full sentence of what I'm refering to. So my question is simple, why there is "left" before the word "Stranded". The word "Stranded" can mean abounded, and "left" can also mean the same as stranded. I heard that it is an idiom, but I don't get it "left them standed" = "left them abounded".

" when the fall of the Endless left them stranded on diverse planets."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word you intend is abandoned. Also, left stranded is pretty much a set phrase.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Despite what you thought, Xenon, that's not a full sentence, and if it had been, it should have begun with a capital letter.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The verb pattern here is :

to leave somebody stranded

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
The word you intend is abandoned. Also, left stranded is pretty much a set phrase.

I don't get it ...

Despite what you thought, Xenon, that's not a full sentence, and if it had been, it should have begun with a capital letter.

Then here it is :

"Once part of the same bloodline as the Hissho, the Yuusho were separated from their kin when the fall of the Endless left them stranded on diverse planets."

The verb pattern here is :

to leave somebody stranded

So it is like : left in a state of being abandoned ? or something like that ?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So it is like: [no space] "left in a state of being abandoned?" [no space] or something like that? [no space]
Yes, that's it exactly. It's a coincidence that "left" can mean "abandoned" by itself.

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
So I can say "they left them abandoned" it sounds wierd ... Even if we use word "stranded" it has the meaning of abandoned.

So yea ...

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So I can say "they left them abandoned" it sounds wierd ... Even if we use word "stranded" it has the meaning of abandoned.
Yes. You leave someone in some kind of state of being like stranded, (emotionally) cold, speechless, etc.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word abounded is the wrong word. You need abandoned there.

If somebody is left stranded somewhere that person has been abandoned.

www.dictionary.com

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Yes. You leave someone in some kind of state of being like stranded, (emotionally) cold, speechless, etc.

I read that stranded can also mean a place (Stranded involves being left somewhere unpleasant, remote, or inconvenient).
But in my opinion "left them stranded" sounds really wierd... I can also say "when the fall of the Endless left them all alone" or "when the fall of the Endless abandoned them".
Using 2 times word that mean "abandon" doesn't really have a sense. Even the definition of being left somewhere unpleasant, remote etc. It is rarely used...

The word abounded is the wrong word. You need abandoned there.

If somebody is left stranded somewhere that person has been abandoned.

www.dictionary.com

Well when I'm reading my last post I think "abandoned" is written there properly.

"So I can say "they left them abandoned" it sounds wierd ... Even if we use word "stranded" it has the meaning of abandoned."

I took your advice from before and that's why my next post has a correct written word.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read that stranded can also mean a place (Stranded involves being left somewhere unpleasant, remote, or inconvenient).
But in my opinion "left them stranded" sounds really wierd... I can also say "when the fall of the Endless left them all alone" or "when the fall of the Endless abandoned them".
Using 2 times word that mean "abandon" doesn't really have a sense. Even the definition of being left somewhere unpleasant, remote etc. It is rarely used...
"Left someone stranded" is correct, natural, and common.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Post #10 makes my head spin. You are right that it should be They abandoned them or They left them there (stranded).

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The verb pattern here is leave somebody stranded.

The 'leave' part of this structure does not mean 'abandon'. It has a causative sense, meaning something like 'have a lasting effect on something, especially on departure'. In this case, the 'Fall of the Endless' is the departed causative thing (a finished event) and 'stranded' is the resulting effect of the departed thing. In other words, the Fall of the Endless caused them to end up in a state of being stranded on various planets.

This sense of 'leave' occurs in all other patterns following leave + object + complement, where the 'stranded' complement slot can be filled by any form of adjectival phrase.

He left them lying in an open field.
This will leave my mum without a job.
She leaves me breathless.

In each case, the blue part describes the state that the red part is in at the time of, or as a result of, the pink part's departure.

The word 'stranded' does not really mean 'abandoned', either. It's an adjective that means something like in 'stuck in a remote place'. They are marooned on these planets, unable to escape, as a result of the Fall of the Endless. Only an entity with a mind (person/animal/god) can be the subject of the verb 'abandon'. The subject here is an event, I assume. Both people and events can be the causative factor when acting as subject of this sense of 'leave'.

Last edited:

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
The verb pattern here is leave somebody stranded.

The 'leave' part of this structure does not mean 'abandon'. It has a causative sense, meaning something like 'have a lasting effect on something, especially on departure'. In this case, the 'Fall of the Endless' is the departed causative thing (a finished event) and 'stranded' is the resulting effect of the departed thing. In other words, the Fall of the Endless caused them to end up in a state of being stranded on various planets.

This sense of 'leave' occurs in all other patterns following leave + object + complement, where the 'stranded' complement slot can be filled by any form of adjectival phrase.

He left them lying in an open field.
This will leave my mum without a job.
She leaves me breathless.

In each case, the blue part describes the state that the red part is in at the time of, or as a result of, the pink part's departure.

The word 'stranded' does not really mean 'abandoned', either. It's an adjective that means something like in 'stuck in a remote place'. They are marooned on these planets, unable to escape, as a result of the Fall of the Endless. Only an entity with a mind (person/animal/god) can be the subject of the verb 'abandon'. The subject here is an event, I assume. Both people and events can be the causative factor when acting as subject of this sense of 'leave'.

My god :D

I think I have found the answer thanks to your post (mostly I was trying to translate this sentence and this part "The word 'stranded' does not really mean 'abandoned', either. It's an adjective that means something like in 'stuck in a remote place'.". Gave me a final result.)

Post #10 makes my head spin. You are right that it should be They abandoned them or They left them there (stranded).
Did I say something not clear?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word 'stranded' does not really mean 'abandoned'

Well, you could be stranded somewhere because you were abandoned.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
you could be stranded somewhere because you were abandoned.

Yes, that certainly could be the case, where being stranded is a result of being abandoned.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Did I say something not clear?

You have a habit of coining phrases.

Better:

Was that confusing?

Yes, and you could have hardly done it better.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you are stranded somewhere, it means you have no way of getting away from that place.
If you are abandoned by someone, it means they left you. You could be quite safe and secure at home - it was the other person who left.

Status
Not open for further replies.