What does "squared off" mean in the sentence below?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Of course, Days Gone’s humans aren’t the only threat. Its world is peppered with Freakers who come in a range of sizes and speeds, but you’ll mostly encounter the garden variety zombie that can be swiftly dealt with by a headshot or thwack of an axe if split from a pack. Hordes, however, are a different story, and fighting these create most of the thrilling moments in Days Gone. Usually found in squared off, elaborate geographical areas..." Source: ign.com

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not particularly clear what she means. It seems that these areas have a shape that in some way resembles a square, which could mean only two, but probably means at least three sides. I imagine that what she might be getting at is the fact that neither the zombies nor you can leave the area. At least, not from the 'squared off' side. Part of the strategy comes from being stuck in this melee zone.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's not particularly clear what she means. It seems that these areas have a shape that in some way resembles a square, which could mean only two, but probably means at least three sides. I imagine that what she might be getting at is the fact that neither the zombies nor you can leave the area. At least, not from the 'squared off' side. Part of the strategy comes from being stuck in this melee zone.
Given "Sqaure off" generally means to prepare for a fight and the fact that the areas article is talking about is scattered with gas tanks, fuel tanks and booby traps, can we say that it means the same here in this context?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. I'm pretty confident squared off refers to the geography of the areas.

You could have a look at some gameplay videos on YouTube and see if you can work it out from that.

rezaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No. I'm pretty confident squared off refers to the geography of the areas.

You could have a look at some gameplay videos on YouTube and see if you can work it out from that.
Going through senses of “square”in Merriam Webster, i came across a sense that means “ to mark off into squares” . Is that the relevant sense here in my context?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't know what 'mark off into squares' is supposed to mean.

I've already told you what I think the writer of the article means. It means that the areas are contained in that they are enclosed spaces.

I can't really comment any further without a knowledge of the game. Have you got a copy? If you have, take a look at the map if there is one and tell me what these areas look like in plan view. Otherwise, you can just forget about this particular use. I doubt you'll find anything similar in any dictionary, and it isn't something you really need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.