Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hello I French exchange student in UK for study. came across hinterland randomly on PC electronic dictionary. I become curious and I looked up word first on Dictionary.com. Here what it gave me.
Source Dictionary.com
    1. Often hinterlands. the remote or less developed parts of a country; back country:
  1. The hinterlands are usually much more picturesque than the urban areas.
  2. the land lying behind a coastal region.
  3. an area or sphere of influence in the unoccupied interior claimed by the state possessing the coast.
  4. an inland area supplying goods, especially trade goods, to a port.
I understand all meaning except 5th definition, the one about "an inland area supplying goods, especially trade goods, to a port" I check Cambridge Dictionary for more help but I still confused. So I look to different websites for different meanings like Wikipedia and Britannica
Source Cambridge Dictionary
ECONOMICS
  • the area that surrounds a big city or port and on which the city or port depends for economic growth:
    Example: China is Hong Kong's economic hinterland and biggest trading partner.
Source Wikipedia "
  • Originally the term was associated with the area of a port in which materials for export and import are stored and shipped. In shipping usage, a port's hinterland is the area that it serves, both for imports and for exports."
Source Briticannica.com "
  • An export hinterland is the backcountry region from which the goods being shipped from the port originate and an import hinterland is the backcountry region for which the goods shipped to the port are destined. Export and import hinterlands have complementary forelands that lie on the seaward side of the port. An export foreland is the region to which the goods being shipped from the port are bound and an import foreland is the region from which goods being shipped to the port originate."
What does the 5th definition from Dictionary.com really mean? Is it place that stores and ships export/imported goods sent from port or beach town? Or is it urban place that is closely linked economically with a nearby town or city?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The littoral is the land adjacent to the coast, and the hinterland is all the rest of the terrain. The economy of the littoral is often concerned with fishing, tourism and other pursuits that require water, and land there may be too expensive for other activities. Those others are therefore often relegated to the hinterlands.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Imagine being a trader. Better yet, a trading company. You find exotic locations around the world to buy things for your home market. Say you're buying cloves. You set up operations in a port city in a foreign land. The interior of the land is where the cloves grow. It's controlled by natives who are willing to trade. They bring their wares to your location at the port.

You do not go into the hinterland. It is remote and dangerous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.