[Vocabulary] What is "a humorous aside"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrenziqq

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In a reading skill improving textbook, there are often questions like "The third paragraph contains : (A) an emotional appeal (B) a humorous aside (C)...(D)..." .

What do "a humorous aside" and "an emotional appeal" mean separately?
Please explain them with easier words. Thanks a million.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A "humorous aside" is a side note, a deviation from the main theme of a piece of writing that provides an amusing fact or idea. It is not necessary for the main theme, but it provides some entertainment and interesting knowledge for the reader.

An "emotional appeal" is an attempt to get the reader or listener to respond emotionally rather than rationally to the material. Politicians like to do this, they tell stories to get people to think they care and to "convince" them to follow the politician's plan without really examining the plan or whether it will solve the problem.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Terrenziqq:

I was reading my newspaper comic strips this morning when I was reminded of your question.

Please google these words: Crankshaft by Batiuk and Ayers July 24.

The first result should read: Crankshaft | comics | Seattle Times. Click on that result.

Do you see that senior citizen (old man) telling something to that girl? That is an example of an aside.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Terrenziqq:

I was reading my newspaper comic strips this morning when I was reminded of your question.

Please google these words: Crankshaft by Batiuk and Ayers July 24.

The first result should read: Crankshaft | comics | Seattle Times. Click on that result.

Do you see that senior citizen (old man) telling something to that girl? That is an example of an aside.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Hi,

:oops: I didn't get the joke. May you kindly tell me what I missed? What did the woman in pink understand instead of 'labor'? :oops:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
:oops: I didn't get the joke.[STRIKE] May[/STRIKE] Would/will/couldyou kindly tell me what I missed? What did the woman in pink understand instead of 'labor'? :oops:
You are not alone.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just wanted the thread starter to have a visual representation of an "aside."

Regarding the joke, I don't get it, either. I don't know what the lady heard instead of "labor."

(An aside: just between you and me, I don't read the comics very carefully. I just read them to find examples of the use of "really," my favorite word.)

Status
Not open for further replies.