What is the differance between summery and paraphrasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhd shaher

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi..

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hi..

They are sometimes used interchangeably, but I do see a difference. If you are paraphrasing a paragraph you are generally putting exactly the same content in your own words. If you stay too close to the original you might stray into "plagiarizing." Here is a site that I have turned my students to to help them paraphrase properly.

A summary is usually a shorter presentation of a text, in which you are pointing out a number of the key points.

Member Type
English Teacher
They are sometimes used interchangeably, but I do see a difference. If you are paraphrasing a paragraph you are generally putting exactly the same content in your own words. If you stay too close to the original you might stray into "plagiarizing." Here is a site that I have turned my students to to help them paraphrase properly.

A summary is usually a shorter presentation of a text, in which you are pointing out a number of the key points.

That is a very good site!

The way I teach the difference is thus:

PARAPHRASE = using your own words to give the same information, AND the length is almost equal to the original text.

SUMMARY = the most important ideas from the original text, AND the length is much shorter than the original text.

Example:

ORIGINAL TEXT: "Dogs shouldn't eat cheese because the enzymes and bacteria in cheese is highly toxic to a dog, doing especially great havoc to their small intestines--quite likely killing them."

PARAPHRASE: "Because of some extremely harmful bio-chemical reactions in a part of their digestive tract, if you want your dog to live it is advised not to feed cheese to canines."

SUMMARY: "Dogs shouldn't eat cheese because it'll probably kill them."

Happy English!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.