What is the difference between the verbs scold, upbraid and berate in the following sentences?

Lbn36

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Ethiopia
Current Location
Ethiopia
What is the difference between the words scold,upbraid and berate in the following sentences?

1. Your mother was scolding us although you stole the pen.
  2. I upbraided my students for poor research because they were supposed to write academically acceptable research.
  3. I have been berated continually by an overbearing boss because of your absence.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is the difference between the words "scold", "upbraid" and "berate" in the following sentences?

1. Your mother was scolding us although you stole the pen.
2. I abraided upbraided my students for poor research because they were supposed to write academically acceptable research.
3. I have been berated continually by an overbearing boss because of your absence.
Note my corrections above.

It doesn't make any sense to ask us the difference between three words when you've used them in three different sentences!

Lbn36

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Ethiopia
Current Location
Ethiopia

It doesn't make any sense to ask us the difference between three words when you've used them in three different sentences!
Thanks for your feedback,but it seems that you are wrong because the word is "upbraid" which means to criticize or scold someone in a prolonged abusive way.

Lbn36

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Ethiopia
Current Location
Ethiopia

It makes sense to me because I want to know why they are used in these different contexts.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Abe: Your mother scolded us even though even though you are the one who stole the pen.
Bob: Better you than me!

The words are so similar in meaning that it probably doesn't matter which one you choose.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for your feedback,but it seems that you are wrong because the word is "upbraid" which means to criticize or scold someone in a prolonged abusive way.
You gave us three sentences, each with a different word. You have clearly understood the meaning of 'upbraid'.
It makes sense to me because I want to know why they are used in these different contexts.
You have used the appropriate word in each sentence so you have got the idea of how they are used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your feedback no comma here but it seems that you are wrong because the word is "upbraid" which means to criticize or scold someone in a prolonged, abusive way.
I know what "upbraid" means. My point was that it makes more sense to give us one sentence and ask which of the three words works best, or if all three are possible.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with the above, and would say the same about ‘berate’.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
What is the difference between the words scold,upbraid and berate in the following sentences?
They're different words with the same general meaning. However there's a nuance between them that's difficult to explain in words; it's something people pick up with practice.

The slightly different contexts of the three sentences that you've given us should give you a clue as to when to use each word.