What is the tongue position for the t and d sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewkiez11219

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
On another thread, it was discussed that the tip of the tongue must touch the alveolar ridge and that the tongue must not touch the teeth as shown in the following link.
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/204826-tongue-position-to-say-d
However, I find it quite hard to put the "tip" of my tongue on the part of the alveolar ridge just below the slope to the hard palate. Can someone define the "tip" of the tongue. Which area of the tongue is considered the tip? I pronounce the d sound by pressing the blade of my tongue(depending on what's your definition of blade) against the upper alveolar ridge. The tip of my tongue doesn't touches my teeth, but if i were to stretch and flatten my tongue intentionally while keeping my d tongue position, the tip of my tongue could actually touch my teeth. Am i doing it wrong? I hope this is not to vague.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To me, the tip is the triangular shaped point. It's kind of hard to say for certain, but for me, the top of that triangle touches the alveolar ridge.

It shouldn't touch your teeth, because then it's going to start sounding more like a 'th' sound.

It should basically be the same position as a 't'. The only difference (in English) between a /t/ and a /d/ sound is that the /d/ is voiced, while the /t/ isn't. The position is the same.

Check out this website - you'll find the /t/ and /d/ phonemes under the 'stop' tab.

kewkiez11219

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
What about when Americans made the "flap t" sounds like in words like butter, better, and matter? The t sounds like a d. Does the tip of the tongue touch the ridge in this case ?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, the position is the same.

Status