Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Can any one of the kind teachers elaborate the meaning of such sentences as, "He doesn't do having play/dance/run/think" etc.? or 'do having something', for that matter?

Can any one of the kind teachers elaborate the meaning of such sentences as, "He doesn't do having play/dance/run/think" etc.? or 'do having something', for that matter?
These sentences are not meaningful English.

Yar, ye sentences apne kahan parhe?

Which means?
Sorry fivejedjon for any inconvenience. Sine Acchu is also from Pakistan, I was try to talk to him in our national language Urdu. I asked him where he got those sentences from. :up:

Which means?

Sir it means where have you come across these sentences?

@Sir Dawood usmani.

I can't precisely recall, but I heard this kind of a sentence from a TV host.

Sir wish I could write the original sentence here. The sentence used by that TV host is kind of objectionable.

Last edited:
Sir wish I could write the original sentence here. The sentence used by that TV host is kind of objectionable.

Perhaps you could replace some of the letters in the objectionable words by asterisks, thus: s**t. ;-)

Last edited:
Jeremy Clarkson, the host of a TV show called "Top gear", uttered this kind of sentence.

Last edited:
And the sentence is...?

Without the context and the whole sentence or series of sentences, it's impossible for us to help you. What you have posted so far does not make any sense but it's possible that with the rest of the context, it might suddenly become clear.

Don't worry - we're used to Jeremy Clarkson being pretty objectionable. Just do as someone else suggested and replace any actual swearing with asterisks where possible (although I have never actually heard Jeremy Clarkson swear on TV).

His words, "There is a girl in this Max Pan movie, the new bond girl, she is in that film, and Bond doesn't do having s** with her".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y19dwsXwBs

Time slot: 00:01:50- 00:02:10

Last edited:
His words, "There is a girl in this Max Pan movie, the new bond girl, she is in that film, and Bond doesn't do having s** with her".

‪Mark Wahlberg celebrity interview & lap - Top Gear - BBC‬‏ - YouTube

Time slot: 00:01:50- 00:02:10

You are OK to say "having sex" on here! It's not swearing!

Anyway, I've watched the You Tube video. I would say that it's just Clarkson using poor English. He means that despite the fact that the girl in question is in a bed, wearing very few clothes, Mark Wahlberg's character does not have sex with her (which Clarkson can't understand!) For reasons of his own he said "he doesn't do having sex with her" instead of just saying "he doesn't have sex with her".

'Do' is sometimes used informally to describe things that one indulges in:

I don't do drugs - I am not into drugs; drugs are not my scene; etc.

Clarksons use of the following verb is unusual; it would be more in keeping with the pattern to say, "He doesn't do sex with her" - though even that is unlikely, because 'do sex' could be interpreted as 'have sex'.

So, I am with emsr2d2: "it's just Clarkson using poor English".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back