Wheel Power is a venue to test your willpower.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was walking by the mall and there’s a big open-air square outside. My friend Hook noticed that there’s a new place for skateboarding lovers, especially for children.

Hook: Look over there. Something new’s erected. Let’s take a look.
Silver: Wow, it’s a place for skateboarding players.
Hook: It looks like for children.
Silver: Yes, and the name is good, Wheel Power.
Hook: Wheel Power is a venue to test your willpower.

The meaning is quite clear but is the italic sentence okay? This track of land belongs to the shopping mall and now it's desginated for WheelPower, I suppose WheelPower rented it. Both of us (Hook and I) believe that Wheel Power is a play on "willpower" because the activity takes one's willpower to persevere.

WheelPower.png

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I was walking with my friend, Hook, near by the mall and he there’s a big open-air square outside. My friend Hook noticed that there’s a new place for skateboarding lovers, enthusiasts, especially for children.
Note that "skateboarding lovers" is wrong. Look up "lovers" and you'll see what I mean!
Hook: Look. There's something new over there. Something new’s erected. Let’s take a look.
Silver: Wow. It’s a place for skateboarding. players.
Hook: It looks like it's for children.
Silver: Yes, and the name is good, "Wheel Power".
Hook: Wheel Power is a venue to test your willpower.

The meaning is quite clear but Is the italic sentence okay? This track of land area belongs to the shopping mall, but and now it's desginated for WheelPower, I suppose Wheel Power have rented it. Both of us (Hook and I) believe that "Wheel Power" is a play on "willpower" because the activity takes one's skateboarding requires willpower. to persevere.
I'm not sure such play on words is intended. I'm not a skateboarder, so I can't say if that activity requires willpower. If it does, then your italic sentence is okay.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think venue is the right word. A venue is a place for events, and a skatepark like this does not hold events. Use 'place' instead.

Wheel power is a place to test your willpower.

I'm not convinced the name was intended as play on 'willpower'. Willpower is about restraint or resistance from self-gratification, like when you resist the urge to smoke a cigarette when you really want one. The determination that you need to get good at skating can't be considered willpower, for me at least.

But it's quite possible that the skatepark was named as a play on words and that the person who named it didn't know the meaning of the word or didn't think others would really care.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Note that "skateboarding lovers" is wrong. Look up "lovers" and you'll see what I mean!
I beg to disagree for two reasons. I've used "lover" to mean "a devotee of something" as in "English language lover" for many years and native speakers of English don't disagree with me. I looked up the word here. I know you were referring to its first definition. :)

Thanks a lot for correcting the whole dialog.

I don't think venue is the right word. A venue is a place for events, and a skatepark like this does not hold events. Use 'place' instead.

Wheel power is a place to test your willpower.

I'm not convinced the name was intended as play on 'willpower'. Willpower is about restraint or resistance from self-gratification, like when you resist the urge to smoke a cigarette when you really want one. The determination that you need to get good at skating can't be considered willpower, for me at least.

But it's quite possible that the skatepark was named as a play on words and that the person who named it didn't know the meaning of the word or didn't think others would really care.
Teacher jutfrank, I'm grateful for your correction of the sentence and your comments, which are very important and helpful.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I beg to disagree for two reasons. I've used "lover" to mean "a devotee of something" as in "English language lover" for many years and native speakers of English don't disagree with me. I looked up the word here. I know you were referring to its first definition. :)
No. My issue is with the phrase, not the word "lovers" per se.
If you insist on using "lovers", then say "lovers of skateboarding" which, unlike "skateboarding lovers", has no other interpretation.