Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
131273363_211463860460877_7040919823240045241_n.jpg131273363_211463860460877_7040919823240045241_n.jpgWhen do you use 'is' before 'you'?

We don't. That was either written by a non-native speaker (who made a mistake) or by someone who thought it sounded humorous.

We don't. That was either written by a non-native speaker (who made a mistake) or by someone who thought it sounded humorous.
It seem a native page as they write about its history.

omom.jpg

It seems to be a [STRIKE]native[/STRIKE] page by a native English speaker as they write about its history.

View attachment 3768

That doesn't tell you anything. I could write a whole page about the history of paella in Valencia (in Spanish) if I did enough research. That doesn't mean I'm a native Spanish speaker.

It may occur in some non-standard variations, but it is not used in standard English.

Use it this way: The person asking the question is you. We're the people answering it.

You can also use it when you sing this:

So it is wrong to say such a thing.Thank you all.

So it is wrong to say such a thing.Thank you all.
In what has been quoted so far, yes. But note that "is you" is not impossible in English.
For example "All I want is you".

In what has been quoted so far, yes. But note that "is you" is not impossible in English.
For example "All I want is you".

Yes, but when you is the subject we use are only.

So it is wrong to say such a thing. [space] Thank you all.
No, is you is not wrong. In #7 and #9 we showed you how to use it correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
"You" isn't the subject of that sentence. "I" is. :) (Did you see what I did there?)

I think "all" is the subject in that sentence.

Not a grammarian

"You" isn't the subject of that sentence. "I" is. :) (Did you see what I did there?)

Actually, I is the subject of want. Um, I mean "I" is the subject of "want".

(That's how to do it. :cool:)

Last edited:
Not a teacher
------

I like Tom's version better, mostly because of the iron custard the original lacks.
Yeah, I almost posted Tom's version. But Louie Jordan is a god. If you want to learn everything you need to know about jazz, listen to the three Louies: Armstrong, Prima, and Jordan.

(To learn country, listen to guys named Hank. To learn the blues, listen to guys named Blind.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back