Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to describe a situation when the oven makes a sound after the food is ready. Can I use "ding"?

Is this correct?

Jane leaned against the cabinet and stared at her daughter petting their dog. How can I tell her that her teacher said all those things, Jane thought. The oven dinged, jolting her out of her reverie. She opened the lid, grabbed the pie and placed it on the table. For a moment, she gazed at the wisps of steam rising from the pie and inhaled its citrus smell.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd say that the oven timer dinged, not the oven itself.
Ovens don't have lids, they have doors.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'd say that the oven timer dinged, not the oven itself.
Ovens don't have lids, they have doors.
Is this okay?

Jane leaned against the cabinet and stared at her daughter petting their dog. How can I tell her that her teacher said all those things, Jane thought. The oven timer dinged, jolting her out of her reverie. She opened its door, grabbed the pie and placed it on the table. For a moment, she gazed at the wisps of steam rising from the pie and inhaled its citrus smell.

outofdejavu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Technically speaking, I think it depends on the oven itself.
An oven timer may beep or ding by default.

Your word choice of either "beep" or "ding" will create different acoustic effects for your readers.
A timer that beeps may suggest that the oven is a modern model, and a timer that dings, a traditional one.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think I will go with beep.

Jane leaned against the cabinet and stared at her daughter petting their dog. How can I tell her that her teacher said all those things, Jane thought. The oven timer beeped, jolting her out of her reverie. She opened its door, grabbed the pie and placed it on the table. For a moment, she gazed at the wisps of steam rising from the pie and inhaled its citrus smell.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need a question mark after "all those things", even if you don't put the question in quotation marks.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not as fond of the word "grab" as you are. I would say "She took the pie out of the oven and put it on the table." (BTW, mine dings.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.