When you are ready/when you will be ready?

RikiEx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi everyone. Please, explain me difference between "text me when you are ready" and "text me when you will be ready"? For me it seems very similar and sounds correct in both cases. Also, for creating a question, which sentences will be right? For example, someone says to me that he is busy now and can't play. How should i ask him to notify me when he is ready, "Text me when you are ready?" or "Text me when you will be ready?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, everyone.

Please no comma here explain to me the difference between "Text me when you are ready" and "Text me when you will be ready".
For me it seems very To me, they seem similar and both sounds sound correct. in both cases.

Also, for when creating asking a question, which sentences will be is right? For example, if someone says to me that he is busy now and can't play, how should I ask him to notify me when he is ready? Should I use "Text me when you are ready" or "Text me when you will be ready"?
Note my corrections above.

The main difference between them is that "Text me when you are ready" is grammatically correct and "Text me when you will be ready" is not. Consequently, you should use the first one.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't know Russian but it's my understanding that in Russian and many other languages people use the future tense in that context, but in English we use the simple present: text me when you are ready. The future tense would make sense only if the speaker means: text me to let me know what time you will be ready.

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Would 'text me when you are free' work in this context, too?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's correct but its meaning is different. Ready means prepared for some specific activity, while free means available for any unspecified activity.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
For example, someone says to me that he is busy now and can't play. How should I ask him to notify me when he is ready [?]
I just came across this: 'Sorry, I am working on an urgent issue right now [i.e., the person is busy at that moment]. I'll message you when I am free [i.e., after the person is done].'. So, technically, this could work in the OP's context, couldn't it?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, that is often used.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The answer to "Text me when you will be ready" would be a time. I will be ready at 5 PM.