[General] Which films are good for English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I generally believe that the films are the best way to learn native people's accent and speaking. Am I right? Please tell me which films are better? Cartoons, real movies, documentaries, series, ....

YOu are totally right.
Which accent are you interested in?

If you want to hear how real people speak in real situations, then documentaries are a good bet. If you want to learn different pronunciations, then films and series can help. I wouldn't use cartoons - the voices given to the characters are usually very contrived and unreal. No-one really talks like Homer Simpson!

Don't forget the radio too. Find a good English-speaking radio station and have it playing near you as often as possible. You won't be distracted by the pictures and the action, like you are with TV or films. Don't try to actively listen to it. Having it on in the background will help you get to grips with the rhythm and cadence of the language and, in the long run, you will find that you understand more and more of the actual language along with picking up the pronunciation.

Besides showing you real people, a documentary also has a narrator who should be speaking proper English.

"Should be" being the operative phrase there! ;-)

I would guess that conversing with real live native English speakers is the best way to learn about accents. I suppose no one's mentioned that because it's assumed you don't have access to any.

The only reason I didn't mention it was because the thread title and contents asked only about films.

The only reason I didn't mention it was because the thread title and contents asked only about films.
I answered the OP's first question: "I generally believe that the films are the best way to learn native people's accent and speaking. Am I right?" My answer was, putting it differently, "No, I'd say not. There is a better way."
I don't know if all the other respondents agreed with the OP, or didn't see this question, or ignored it.

No, speaking with actual people you can interact with is far better than one-way discourse as in passively experiencing recorded dialogue.

"Benidorm" is a fun series to watch and a collection of different Englishes as well :lol:

Can I also vote for documentaries?

I suggest you watch older films like North by Northwest, Casablanca and Brief Encounter.

The actors in those days took pride in the clarity of their diction and the directors made sure that the dialogue was not drowned by noisy special effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back