Which one is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
There is only enough spring water to supply the needs of the house, so we have to pump from the river for farm use.

_____is only enough to supply the needs of the house.

a. Water of the spring
b. The water in spring
c. The water from the spring
d. Spring water
e. Water from the spring

Dear all,

The right key to this question is C, but I am wondering why D and E are incorrect? To me, both D and E are also correct. Could you tell me which one works for you and explain why, please?

Thanks in advance!

Xianyu

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
羡鱼-Xianyu;605145 said:
There is only enough spring water to supply the needs of the house, so we have to pump from the river for farm use.

_____is only enough to supply the needs of the house.

a. Water of the spring
b. The water in spring
c. The water from the spring
d. Spring water
e. Water from the spring

Dear all,

The right key to this question is C, but I am wondering why D and E are incorrect? To me, both D and E are also correct. Could you tell me which one works for you and explain why, please?

Thanks in advance!

Xianyu
D and E aren't correct. They are about equal, and have the same problem.
The sentence implicitly has 'water' in the position below:
_____is only enough [water] to supply the needs of the house.
You're talking about a quantity of water, and hence you must specify which water you are quantifying - the spring water, or the water from the spring.
The sentence really means:
The [amount of] spring water is only enough [water] to supply the needs of the house.

You could say "Spring water is good for drinking", but not "Spring water is enough for drinking". In the first, you are referring to any spring water, or all spring water.
In the second, you must be talking about some specific spring water, because you are able to quantify it.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
D and E aren't correct. They are about equal, and have the same problem.
The sentence implicitly has 'water' in the position below:
_____is only enough [water] to supply the needs of the house.
You're talking about a quantity of water, and hence you must specify which water you are quantifying - the spring water, or the water from the spring.
The sentence really means:
The [amount of] spring water is only enough [water] to supply the needs of the house.

You could say "Spring water is good for drinking", but not "Spring water is enough for drinking". In the first, you are referring to any spring water, or all spring water.
In the second, you must be talking about some specific spring water, because you are able to quantify it.
Hello, Raymott. Thank you for your useful help. Now I've got it, but I still have some troubles with definite and indefinite article. Would you mind giving me further help, please?:)

Could tell me what are the differences between these following sentences?
1) The refrigerators are useful during hot summer.
2) The refrigerator is useful during hot summer.
3) Refrigerators are useful during hot summer.
4) A refrigerator is useful during hot summer.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
羡鱼-Xianyu;605338 said:
Hello, Raymott. Thank you for your useful help. Now I've got it, but I still have some troubles with definite and indefinite article. Would you mind giving me further help, please?:)

1) The refrigerators are useful during hot summer.
You already know which refrigerators you're talking about. For example, you are inspecting somebody's butcher shop, and they say this to you.
There's only one of them. Or, you're talking about refrigerators in general.
You're talking about refrigerators in general. This is the most common way to say this.
You're talking about refrigerators in general, but the emphasis here is on the user. "For a grocery store, a refrigerator is useful during hot summer."
There's some overlap in meaning and usage.
R.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
There's some overlap in meaning and usage.
R.
Hello, Raymott. I come back again with another question. LOL...

After reading your notes, it seemed that I've already understood the use of 'the', but when I read another similar sentence, my mind became confused again.

I know someone who always cuts sketches out from newspapers of model clothes that she would like to buy if she had the money.

Is its use equal to 'The water from the spring'?
......if she had the amount of money?

And does 'had money' mean 'had any money'? Am I right, Raymott?

Excuse my troubling you again.:)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
羡鱼-Xianyu;605746 said:
Hello, Raymott. I come back again with another question. LOL...

After reading your notes, it seemed that I've already understood the use of 'the', but when I read another similar sentence, my mind became confused again.

I know someone who always cuts sketches out from newspapers of model clothes that she would like to buy if she had the money.

Is its use equal to 'The water from the spring'?
......if she had the amount of money?
Yes, but it might be better if I explain it differently:
She has some money. She has enough to buy food, for example. But she doesn't have the money that buying model clothes would require. It's a specific amount of money that she doesn't have.

Sometimes we even say, "She doesn't have that kind of money."
The implication is that there is a difference between food-buying money and dress-buying money. But the difference is in the amount, or perhaps it's the difference between money-for-essentials and money-for-luxuries. She doesn't have the latter.

And does 'had money' mean 'had any money'? Am I right, Raymott?
In this case, no. She does have some money. So, it's wrong to say, "She doesn't have any money".
It's correct to say, "She doesn't have money for luxuries. She doesn't have the money to buy those dresses."

A: I'll sell you a dress for $400.
B: Sorry, I don't have the money.

This doesn't mean that B has no money. She doesn't have the [amount of] money asked for.

Excuse my troubling you again.:)
No problem.
R.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Dear Raymott (and other teachers :) ),

Is it the same reason why we often say "I don't have the time to do something" :?: I.e. I have time (without "the") for many things, but I don't have the time for this particular thing. Am I right with this interpretation?

Just to give a wonderful example:
Col. Jessup, portrayed by Jack Nicholson in one of my favourite movies, "A Few Good Men", said the following sentence:

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it!"

But (and it seems a little contradiction :-? ) we would say "I have no time for fools"/"I don't have time (without "the") for fools", though it conveys the meaning that I might have plenty of time otherwise, but not for fools. So would it make any difference if I said "I don't have the time for fools"?

Thank you very much for your answer. :up:

PS: I apologize for hijacking the thread, but I'm almost sure that Xianyu will also be interested in your answer. :-D

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear Raymott (and other teachers :) ),

Is it the same reason why we often say "I don't have the time to do something" :?: I.e. I have time (without "the") for many things, but I don't have the time for this particular thing. Am I right with this interpretation?
I'd say so.

Just to give a wonderful example:
Col. Jessup, portrayed by Jack Nicholson in one of my favourite movies, "A Few Good Men", said the following sentence:

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it!"
That's a good example.

But (and it seems a little contradiction :-? ) we would say "I have no time for fools"/"I don't have time (without "the") for fools", though it conveys the meaning that I might have plenty of time otherwise, but not for fools. So would it make any difference if I said "I don't have the time for fools"?
Hmm. Good point. I would tell you the truth about this, but "you can't handle the truth!" ;-)

Thank you very much for your answer. :up:

PS: I apologize for hijacking the thread, but I'm almost sure that Xianyu will also be interested in your answer. :-D
R.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Thank you for your answer. :up:

Hmm. Good point. I would tell you the truth about this..
Please, do! :) I would greatly appreciate if you shared your thoughts. :)

"you can't handle the truth!"
:lol: :lol: :up:

"I think I'm entitled!" ;-) :-D (Please, have some time for fools. :mrgreen: )

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

(Please, have some time for fools. :mrgreen: )
OK, just this once.
You can also say:
1. "I don't have money for new dresses", "I have no money for new dresses". But if you change the wording as follows, you have to include "the":
2. "I can't afford new dresses, because I don't have the money."
(If you left out "the" in 2. it would mean you have no money - because "money" is not qualified by anything. But "money" is qualified in 1. by "for new dresses".)

3. "I have no time for fools.", "I don't have time for fools."
Similarly to 2. "time" doesn't need qualification by "the" because it's qualified by "for fools".

You can add "the". Eg. "I don't have the money for new dresses",
"I don't have the time for fools",
but it's not necessary.

rhapsomatrics

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Yoruba
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
羡鱼-Xianyu;605338 said:

1)The refrigerators are useful during hot summer.

A)The definite article is sometimes used for objects and phenomena which have singular existence..eg the sun the moon etc..not the star.
b)The definite article is also used with musical instruments..eg the piano
c)The definite article could also be used for specifics...eg the river(a particular one in question)
d)The definite article is also used with acronyms which cannot be appelled ie pronounced as a name.eg the English Premier League(epl) The BBC etc.Note:Acronyms that can be pronounced are treated like proper nouns..eg He was the president of NATO
e)The definite article is also,sometimes,used with objects or things which serve purposes slightly more important than those they are conventionally designed to.eg The blanket may prove a reliable companion in a lonely desert.
With regard to the above four sentences,I find sentence one a little too grandiose particularly for the pluralization ((The refrigerators )are useful during hot summer.)Since a single refrigerator can function exactly the way each of 100 refrigerators will,the pluralization is unnecessary.Sentence two is correct...see (e) above.Sentence 3 is a generally true statement while sentence 4 is theoretically correct.Therefore,IMO,only sentence 1 is wrong.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, Mav,
Aha... it seems as if you know me better than myself. Yes, you're definitely right. I'm interested in everyone's reply because I'm itching to learn English well. Thank you for your good question and wonderful movie line, from which I learned more.

Thank you, rhapsomatrics and bertietheblue, for your help! I've already read your replies carefully.

Again, thank you, Raymott, though this time the question is not raised by me. Only joking, LOL...;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.