Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1 It is not until lots of people get cancers , which have high fatility rates, that they stop smking.

2.It is not until they get cancers , which have high fatility rates, that lots of people stop smking.

which one is better and are ther correct grammatically?

It is not until getting cancers , which have high fatility rates, that lots of people stop smking.

Is this sentence correct ang clear?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1 It is not until lots of people get cancers , which have high fatility rates, that they stop smking.

2.It is not until they get cancers , which have high fatility rates, that lots of people stop smking.

It is not until getting cancers , which have high fatility rates, that lots of people stop smking.

Is this sentence correct ang clear?
***NOT A TEACHER***Kelvin123, perhaps your sentence could be something like: Many people do not stop smoking until they get a cancer that has a high fatality rate. Thank you.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other

fertile >> fertility
fatal >> fatality

I would phrase this as " Often it is only when people develop lung cancer, which has high rates of fatality, that they stop smoking".

It is not until getting cancers , which have high fatality rates, that lots of people stop smoking.

Is this sentence correct and clear?

As a general point, smoking tobacco and similar products is only connected to lung cancer, and is not currently shown to be a cause of other cancers.

kelvin123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
As a general point, smoking tobacco and similar products is only connected to lung cancer, and is not currently shown to be a cause of other cancers.
thanks.
but I only want to concerned with the usage of English in the sentences

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
1 It is not until lots of people get cancers , which have high fatility rates, that they stop smoking.

2.It is not until they get cancers , which have high fatility rates, that lots of people stop smoking.

When it comes to being grammatical, I would say that it's OK for these sentences, but as for clarity, there is something that bothers me;

"cancers , which have high fatility rates"
Yes, it's a fact and already known by most of the people but in this kind of contexts about smoking it is customarily made some references to the deaths connected to smoking.So I wonder if you meant "high fatality rates due to smoking". If it so I can't see a proper place in the sentence to put this. Thus, your sentence boils down to; "It is not until lots of people get cancers that they stop smoking.", which sounds way better to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.