Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello, I have noticed that the auxiliary is missing in some sentences, especially in rap songs. Can you explain why?

Examples :

-"you faker than some Sweet'N Low" instead of "you're faker that some Sweet'N Low" (Sweatpants, Childish Gambino)
-"So I'm chilling with my girlfriend, but she not my real girlfriend" (Heartbeat, Childish Gambino)
-"I been movin' calm, don't start no trouble with me" (God's Plan, Drake)

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't use pop music songs as examples of good English. One can explain these as variants of African American vernacular, but it is unwise to mimic this as a learner. It will be seen as an error.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, I have noticed that the auxiliary [STRIKE]wasn't there[/STRIKE] is missing in some sentences, especially in rap songs. Can you explain [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] why?

Examples:

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Note my corrections above.

If you want to use "me" after "explain", you need a longer sentence, such as "Can you explain this to me?" We explain something to someone; we don't just explain something someone.
Don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

As SoothingDave said, it's not a good idea to take song lyrics as examples of good English. Lyrics are often written to fit the rhyme and rhythm of the song.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

Thanks a lot !

See above. When we give you advice/rules, it's nice for us to know that you are going to follow it. You can edit your last post to remove the incorrect space. That will also help you practise using the "Edit Post" facility.

In future, though, remember that there is no need to write a new post to thank anyone. Simply click on the "Thank" button on any post you find useful. It saves time for everyone.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for editing the post and for using the "Thank" button. You are quickly getting to grips with the way the forum works. :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The speakers are using African-American Vernacular English, a dialect in which those auxiliaries are usually omitted. Don't emulate the practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.