Why surgery room is called as operational theatre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Today, I have read this interesting information in a reputed newspaper. I just want to share this with other members here.
(Credits; The Hindu dated 30/10/12.)

Why is the ‘surgery room’ in hospitals referred to as ‘operation theatre’?

When we hear the word ‘theatre’, we immediately think of a building in which we watch a film or a play. The word comes from the Greek ‘theatron’ meaning ‘a place for viewing’. So why is the sterile room which no outsider is allowed to enter called a ‘theatre’? Several centuries ago, a surgery was a spectacle that many people went to see. Surgeons carried out their task in the open, in a non-sterile environment — usually in an amphitheatre. Sitting a few feet from the operating table would be medical students and interested participants watching the surgery in progress. Even today, in teaching hospitals, it is standard practice for students watch surgeries from galleries situated at a higher level than the ‘operation theatre’.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Although I had never seen this name given to an operation room, I guess the answer to your question is in the text itself: since students watch the operations from a "gallery situated at a higher level", the name "operation theatre" seems to make sort of sense.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In BrE the place where major surgery is carried out is called an operating theatre.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
It's an operating room or OR in AmE.

Status