with what prepositions is the word disappointed used correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gleb Dolgov

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Greetings! )
I'm a college student from Russia. In our English lesson we had a task "to put prepositions correctly".
My teacher and I have a question. with what prepositions is the word "disappointed" used correctly? The textbook by Dave Willis says that "disappointed" is written with "with" or "about".
My teacher and I are interested to know your opinion on this. Is this textbook considered a reliable source of information or not? And which textbooks and from which authors would you personally recommend to solve this question?

Last edited:

Gleb Dolgov

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Photos are here

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Greetings!

I am a college student from Russia and my English teacher and I had have a question.

What prepositions are used to spell disappointed? I'm sure you didn't mean this. Check on the meaning of "to spell".

With Do we use "with" or "about"?

The same thing is written in the my textbook - photo attached. on the photo. No photo was attached.

We are interested to know your opinion.

D
o you agree with this statement or not and why? What statement? Are you talking about a statement in the photo you didn't attach?
Please note my corrections and comments above.

Gleb Dolgov

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Greetings! )
I'm a college student from Russia. In our English lesson we had a task "to put prepositions correctly".
My teacher and I have a question. with what prepositions is the word "disappointed" used correctly? The textbook from Dave Willis says that "disappointed" is written with "with" or "about".
My teacher and I are interested to know your opinion on this. Is this textbook considered a reliable source of information or not? And which textbooks and from which authors would you personally recommend to solve this question?
I edited the thread, so you have a little better understanding of the problem. Also, l tried to fix my grammar 👉👈

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The textbook by Dave Willis says that "disappointed" is written with "with" or "about".
My teacher and I are interested to know your opinion on this. Is this textbook considered a reliable source of information or not?

Apparently not. Can you post a picture of the place in the book where he says this?

After disappointed, it's common to use in, with, and by, but other prepositions are possible, depending on the meaning of the sentence as a whole. I can't think of a good example context where disappointed is followed by about.

It's important to understand that the choice of preposition contributes primarily to the meaning of the preposition phrase, not to the preceding phrase.

I was disappointed after the match.
I was disappointed at the stadium.
I was disappointed for the second week running.
I was disappointed with the result.

I was disappointed in Chelsea.

The preposition belongs in the preposition phrase. To understand the dependency between the main part of the sentence and the preposition phrase, you have to think about the meaning of the whole sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I edited the thread no comma here so you have a little better understanding of the problem. Also, l tried to fix my grammar.
I edited the thread. Thanks.

) I don't know why this closing bracket appeared after the word "Thanks" instead of a full stop.
Please don't edit posts after they receive responses. It makes some responses and corrections look nonsensical.

Reactions: 5jj

Gleb Dolgov

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please don't edit posts after they receive responses. It makes some responses and corrections look nonsensical.
Ok, sorry for that. I just could not find the delete button.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok OK/Okay, sorry for about that. I just could not find the delete button.
Why were you looking for the delete button? If you post a question and people respond, we don't allow users to delete the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.