Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

I am Arvind, want to ask some questions about articles.

can we use "you" while writing articles. when i read ezine articles, most of writers use "you". But when i do research always find "Don't use You".
I am totally confused, please help me.

Hello,

I am Arvind (no comma here) and I want to ask some questions about articles.

​Can we use "you" [STRIKE]while[/STRIKE] when writing articles? When I read ezine articles, most [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] writers use "you" (no full stop here) but when I do research, I always find "Don't use You".
I am totally confused. Please help me.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. It is important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

What type of articles are you writing? Please give us some example sentences in which you don't know whether to use "you" or "we".

I think research reports, being formal writing, emphasizes on objectivity and discourages the use of personal reference i.e. pronouns (I, you, he, etc). Hence, the passive voice tends to be used more in place of pronouns.

With informal writing, such as articles in magazines, the language tends to be more casual and personal, so the use of pronouns are more common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back