English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hi,

I need some help to mark the writings of my students correctly.
Sometimes it's really hard to decide if the pupils' suggestions could be right or are wrong.
It would be nice of you if you gave me some advice if the sentences are wrong and what.
Here are some sentences from my students:

- I go in/ to the class 7d.
- we have activities like the football team
-we are 30 people in the class.
- I like most that we go swimming in the sport lessons.

I'm looking forward to your feedback!

Hi,

I need some help to mark the writings of my students correctly.
Sometimes it's really hard to decide if the pupils' suggestions could be right or are wrong.
It would be nice of you if you gave me some advice if the sentences are wrong and what.
Here are some sentences from my students:

- I go in/ to the class 7d. Which did your student write - "in" or "to"?
- we have activities like the football team :cross:
-we are 30 people in the class. :cross:
- I like most that we go swimming in the sport lessons. :cross:

I'm looking forward to your feedback!

1. As I wrote above, I'm not clear whether your student chose "in" or "to". If your student actually wrote "I go in/to the class 7d", I would return it to the student telling them to choose one preposition before I would mark it. Aside from the preposition, there is a problem with "the class 7d". Is 7d the name of the room or the title of the class?

2. We have activities like football.

3. There are 30 people in the/our/my class.

4. "I like most that" is very unnatural. We don't have "sport lessons" (not in BrE) anyway.

1. As I wrote above, I'm not clear whether your student chose "in" or "to". If your student actually wrote "I go in/to the class 7d", I would return it to the student telling them to choose one preposition before I would mark it. Aside from the preposition, there is a problem with "the class 7d". Is 7d the name of the room or the title of the class?

2. We have activities like football.

3. There are 30 people in the/our/my class.

4. "I like most that" is very unnatural. We don't have "sport lessons" (not in BrE) anyway.

Thank you.
Some students wrote "I go to the class 7b" and one wrote "I go in the class 7b". The task was to tell a friend something about their class. They want to say that they are in the 7th grade. Since there are several 7th grade classes, each class gets a letter like 7a, 7b, 7c, ... So its the title of the class.

Thank you.
Some students wrote "I go to the class 7b" and one wrote "I go in the class 7b". The task was to tell a friend something about their class. They want to say that they are in the 7th grade. Since there are several 7th grade classes, each class gets a letter like 7a, 7b, 7c. So it's the title of the class.

In that case, I assume they mean either "I am in Class 7b" or "Next year, I will go into Class 7b". If it's the name of the group of students, then "I go to" and "I go in" are both incorrect.

Note that the article is not used before "Class 7b".

I'm in Year 9.
I'm in class/Class 6a.

In that case, I assume they mean either "I am in Class 7b" or "Next year, I will go into Class 7b". If it's the name of the group of students, then "I go to" and "I go in" are both incorrect.

Note that the article is not used before "Class 7b".

I'm in Year 9.
I'm in class/Class 6a.

ok. Thank's for your feedback.

OK. Thanks for your feedback. There's no apostrophe in 'Thanks'.

Your appreciation is welcome, Timon, but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you or to quote our replies back to us. Simply click the Like button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back